Deco M9 Plus slow speeds with strong internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 Plus slow speeds with strong internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
106 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus slow speeds with strong internet connection
2020-10-06 21:58:20

I am an IT Tech and recently installed the TP-Link Deco X20 system with 3 hubs in my home. After installing I upped my ISP internet service from 200Mps/10Mps to 400Mps/20Mps, but I was still only pulling 200Mps/10Mps range speeds. Two things that needed to be done to resolve the issue in my case: 1st- Power Cycle all network devices Modem, Router, Satelite Routers and UnManaged Switch. 2nd- Within the Deco app navigate to HomeCare/QoS you will see Total Bandwith select and run TEST, after make sure to Save. For me the Deco system was working prior to the upgrade, but the QoS option needed to be updated to know what data it had available to alocate.

Options
2020-10-08 18:20:33

So, here is my solution after about 6 months of semi-troubleshooting.

My initial setup below

Fios ONT => Deco m9 Plus - router mode (basement)

Mesh connected Deco m5 (basement)

Mesh connected Deco m9 plus (living room - main level)

Mesh connected Deco m5 (bedroom - main level)

Mesh connected Deco m9 plus (bedroom - 2nd level)

Mesh connected Deco m5 (bedroom - 2nd level)

As of today, I terminated the rest of the coax jacks in the basement because I noticed every room had coax. but never activated.  I then purchased MoCA adaptors for ethernet-over-coax to then connect to the Deco units.

My set up now

Fios ONT => Ubiquiti Edgerouter X (router) => AP mode Deco m9 Plus (basement) => MoCA adapter => coax splitter that goes throughout the house

Coax => MoCA adapter => AP mode Deco m9 plus (living room - main level)

Coax => MoCA adapter => AP mode Deco m9 plus (bedroom - 2nd level)

I'm now getting an average of 225Mbps down on wifi throughout the house and a strong signal outside.  This is a far cry from 30-50Mbps and constant stutters, hops, and drops.  I honestly could've ditched the entire TP-link setup altogether and go all Ubiquiti products, but I decided the hydrid route for now.    

MoCA adapter = https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XYDG7WN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Options
2020-10-31 19:50:19

@paraglohiya  I am about to do the same thing.  I have spent way to much time trying to solve this type of problem.

Options
2020-10-31 20:26:08

@DEH Did you try going into Deco app, clicking more, click on QoS, Click edit, click test when you get the speed click save. That worked for me.

Options
2020-11-12 08:49:08

Having got the Deco M9 Plus yesterday, I'm having similar issues with inconsistent wifi speed reporting.

I have a cable modem/router which has a 1GB/s connection. Wired direct from this gets about 900mb/s down, while wifi gets, on average, 650-700mbs.

I have set up 2 Deco M9 Plus. One hard-wired next to the router and one hard-wired, further away, in my office. The Deco system is set to AP (Access Point) mode as I just want them kicking out my existing home network with greater reach etc.

When I test a device that is connected to either Deco, I'm getting good speeds (comparable to above) for anything hard-wired (such as my iMac), but anything on wifi e.g. iPhone, iPad, etc, will only get 90-100mb/s max. The device is approx 12 inches away from the Deco hub.

The Deco app on my device actually records approx 500mb/s, but SpeedTest and Fast both report the much lower speeds on wifi connected devices.

Options
2020-11-23 05:20:43

Similar case here. The wireless connection speed drops overtime and will bounce back after reboot the main unit.

Options
2020-11-30 14:19:41

Removing the priority settings in QoS and manually adding the total bandwidth for my internet connection seems to have solved the problem for me.

Options
2020-12-02 16:54:55

This is very frustrating !!!  I tried everything suggested here including QOS settings and power cycles...but wifi speed is still capped at about 10% of my xfinity 600mbps plan.  Upgrading the firmware to the latest version did not help. Here is my setup:

Netgear CM700 modem ---> main Deco Router ---> switch--> Deco 1 (ethernet backhaul); A PC is also connected to the switch by ethernet cable;

Deco 2 is wireless connected to the main deco;

Anything connected by ethernet cable can get 650mbps, but the wifi speed never exceeds 70mbps even I am at 1 foot away from the main router. Removing Deco 2 did not help either. 

I'll wait a little longer for possible solution before I return it to costco.  

Options
2020-12-02 17:22:43

@Alawei 

Alawei wrote

This is very frustrating !!!  I tried everything suggested here including QOS settings and power cycles...but wifi speed is still capped at about 10% of my xfinity 600mbps plan.  Upgrading the firmware to the latest version did not help. Here is my setup:

Netgear CM700 modem ---> main Deco Router ---> switch--> Deco 1 (ethernet backhaul); A PC is also connected to the switch by ethernet cable;

Anything connected by ethernet cable can get 650mbps, but the wifi speed never exceeds 70mbps even I am at 1 foot away from the main router. Removing Deco 2 did not help either. 

Alawei wrote

Hi, does you router or deco not have to be set to Bridge mode? Maybe it is not configured correctly for a netgear/deco setup Also turn off deco 1+2 and ensure you only connect to the main deco WiFi with no switch in between. See what WiFi speeds you get then...

Options
2020-12-22 17:22:47

@Carl I have a unique problem, I have 2 laptops sitting next to the main Deco unit, both are on Wifi, one shows 200MBPs and other shows 10-15 MBPS (the one shows lower speed is the newer 'company' laptop) - what could be the reason?

ALSO, when I walk in to Faamily room, 10 feet away, the WIFI shows only 10-15 mbps on either laptopss and my iphone? PLEASE HELP

Options
Related Articles