Storage sharing slow on Touch P5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-10 22:24:29

I recently received a Touch P5 router for Christmas.  I have tried hooking up two different external hard drives (with two different USB cables) to my router with the intention of using it as a file server.  Both support USB 3.0 and contain a 7200 RPM drive (NTFS format).  One of the drives wouldn't even get detected by the router when connected to the USB 3.0 port, only the USB 2.0 port.  The other worked in both ports.  But regardless of which USB port or drive I used, file transfer of a single large file to the drive from a PC (supporting gigabit Ethernet) directly connected to the router via Ethernet was capped at 1 MB/s using SMB.  If I took one of those same drives, connected it to the same PC, set it up to be shared over SMB, and then attempted a large file transfer from another random PC on the network, I would average 30 MB/s.  I can't figure out what could be at fault for the significantly slower file transfer speeds other than the router itself.  But I've read reviews online where they said they could get 20-25 MB/s with the same router.  Any idea what else I can check/change to try and improve file transfer speed?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Storage sharing slow on Touch P5
2019-01-11 23:22:39

Aside from SMB, have you tried accessing the file via FTP service? Here is a link that will show you how to set that up: https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-937.html

What is the current firmware build of your Touch P5?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 690

Replies: 1

Related Articles