Extender connected, but wifi says no internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-12 18:07:19 - last edited 2022-06-10 16:40:29

I recently bought a TP-Link AC1200 Wifi Extender (RE305) for my home. I got it connected to the router and have all the blue lights across the top. However, on my phone I keep getting an alert on my wifi that there is no internet connection. I have no idea how to fix this, so if anyone could give me step-by-step instructions (because so much of this stuff I just don't understand), I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much in advance!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Extender connected, but wifi says no internet connection-Solution
2019-01-14 23:41:11 - last edited 2021-08-02 17:44:38

@PleaseHelpMe 

Please follow these steps

1.  Confrim you are connected to the extender.  You can do this by either by phyiscally connecting ethernet port or by setting a unique SSID for the extender and connecting to that. 

2.  Check your IP address.  Refer to steps for your device or OS on how to view this.

3.  If possible ping to the Gateway address to see if you can communicate with the router.

4.  If successful ping to common website like yahoo.com or google.com

5.  If pings are successful you are connected and it should be working.

6.  If step 4 fails but Step 3 was successful the issue lies within the router and you may need to add the MAC address of the extender to your router's approved MAC table.  This step is different for all router makers so you would need to contact the manufacture of the router for assistance with that. 

Best Regards 

Carl | TP-Link support 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-08-02 17:55:55 - last edited 2021-08-02 17:56:08

Hello Everyone. 

This thread seems to be quite popular and does get a lot of activity each week.  Please note that If a range extender is connected but not providing internet the concern is usually in the router.  Typcially this happens if one of the following are true:

1.  You put in the wrong password for the host network.   The extender may coplete the install but the connection is not really established.  Check the User Guide for your extender and make sure the light status of your extender matches normal operation for your model.  For example for the TL-WA850RE the RE light should be lit.  For the RE450 the Ring around the RE button should be blue.  If this status is not correct please check the password, reset the extender and try to complete install again.

2.  Your router has MAC flitering or Access Control enabled.  Both concerns have the same outcome a device being blocked.  This could be that an ACL is blocking the MAC address of the extender from connecting or that You are flitering Client devices by MAC.  When a client device connects to the extender the Header of the MAC is changed to that of the extender.  This is to ensure more complete compatiblity with Clients and routers with the extender.  You will want to make sure if using a ACL or access control list that the MAC of the Extender is set to allow or on the white list.  The same goes for MAC filtering.  If you are using a White or Black list make sure the Extended MAC is also on the list.  

If this does not help please contact support directly at support.usa@tp-link.com for US customers or support@tp-link.com for all other regions.   

Recommended Solution
Options
72 Reply
2019-01-14 23:41:11 - last edited 2021-08-02 17:44:38

@PleaseHelpMe 

Please follow these steps

1.  Confrim you are connected to the extender.  You can do this by either by phyiscally connecting ethernet port or by setting a unique SSID for the extender and connecting to that. 

2.  Check your IP address.  Refer to steps for your device or OS on how to view this.

3.  If possible ping to the Gateway address to see if you can communicate with the router.

4.  If successful ping to common website like yahoo.com or google.com

5.  If pings are successful you are connected and it should be working.

6.  If step 4 fails but Step 3 was successful the issue lies within the router and you may need to add the MAC address of the extender to your router's approved MAC table.  This step is different for all router makers so you would need to contact the manufacture of the router for assistance with that. 

Best Regards 

Carl | TP-Link support 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Extender connected, but wifi says no internet connection
2019-10-10 05:06:41

@PleaseHelpMe 

As with any networking issues, there are 2 places to look at first: the networking equipment (router) and the device having the issue (computer, smartphone, tablet etc.). As a first step, restart your networking equipment and device and see if that fixes the problem. As with the router, network, wifi  and software problems often get fixed automatically with a simple restart. If it doesn't help you, check with the following:

• Check Modem Lights
  • Flush your DNS
  • Change your DNS server address
  • IP address conflict
  • Outdated network driver
  • Check your ISP's status

Options
2019-10-11 16:46:26

@PleaseHelpMe I only have iPhone 7 and it's and I'm having issues with it being connected but says no network or internet the only thing in whole house that uses internet now my neighbor up the hill has WiFi and has gave me the password to acess his wick it works all the way to the porch and partially I my house I just need about 20 feet i recently bought tp-link 300MbpsWidi range extender I'm frustrated and upset that I cannot get it working the extender was messing with my server on my iPhone 7 do u have an suggestions pl

Options
2019-12-31 06:34:11 - last edited 2020-01-20 20:23:07

I had this same issue. I was able to resolve this by logging into my router and adding my extenders MAC address to the wireless bridge section. Hope this helps! 

Edit: 1/20/20, This only alowed my repearter to work for a short time. I found out that the TP link repearters do no work well with my Spectrum supplied hardware. 

Options
2020-03-23 20:49:27

PleaseHelpMe wrote

I recently bought a TP-Link AC1200 Wifi Extender (RE305) for my home. I got it connected to the router and have all the blue lights across the top. However, on my phone I keep getting an alert on my wifi that there is no internet connection. I have no idea how to fix this, so if anyone could give me step-by-step instructions (because so much of this stuff I just don't understand), I would really appreciate it.

@PleaseHelpMe 

Hey there.

This might seem obvious, but after having paired your extender with your router, you have to actively connect your devices (phones/tablet/laptops and whatnot) to the extender with the password that you created for your router/extender. 

In my case the 305 extender actually seems to have a stronger signal than my router, so I just connect to the extender. Some devices will switch automatically between router and extender, but others you have to switch manually in your devices (phones/tablet/laptops and whatnot) wifi settings menu. 

So not quite as plug and play as advertised, but it does get the signal to where I want it. :)

Options
2020-04-02 18:46:29
Options
2020-05-07 18:06:19

I have this same issue. I read the instructions above about "pinging" this and that, but I have no idea how to do that.

The extender was working fine, but suddenly it isn't. All blue lights are on and steady. I have unplugged it, waited a while and then plugged it back in twice. It is not working.

I'm ready to return it.

If someone can please tell me, in PLAIN ENGLISH how to make it work again, I would greatly appreciate it.

Options
2020-05-07 18:12:17

@KNHNEK all blue lights suggests that your extender is working. Is your device connected to the extender?

Options
2020-05-09 19:38:32

@PleaseHelpMe 

I had the same issue I just now figured my issue out. It turns out my wireless cameras were interfering. I shut them down and all my connectivity issues went away.

Specifically I was having the same "no Internet connection" when connecting Ring cameras. So the set up of the Ring camera was not possible. I un-plugged the wireless camera DVR and tried to connect. All of a sudden no Internet problems and for the first time the ring cameras connected. Plug back in the wireless camera DVR and all is working.

Hoipr this helps.

Options
2020-05-12 07:22:26

Were you able to get this solved?@PleaseHelpMe I have the same problem, chatted with the live agen and nothing was solved. 

PleaseHelpMe wrote

Options

Information

Helpful: 169

Views: 510081

Replies: 72