TP Link ID logging out automatically on my router (Dynamic DNS)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-17 22:00:49

I use the Dynamic DNS feature from my router, and as the service provider I am using the TP Link.

In order for me to use TP link as the service provider, I have to login with my TP Link ID. So my hostname is active. No problem here...

The TP Link Dynamic DNS works fine. The problem is that after 1 or 2 days the router logout automatically from my TP Link ID account, causing my DDNS to stop working.

Can anyone knows how to avoid this automatic logout from the TP Link service provider on the Dynamic DNS?

My router is AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (Archer C1200)

Thank you

Options
5 Reply
Re:TP Link ID logging out automatically on my router (Dynamic DNS)
2019-01-18 00:05:37

@Leonstein Was the DDNS service working fine for a given time, then just started to automaitcally log out?

What is the firmware build and harddware version of the router. The information should be on the bottom of the webpage after you log in.

Options
Re:TP Link ID logging out automatically on my router (Dynamic DNS)
2019-07-13 22:11:21

I am having the same or similar problem.

I just purchased and installed a TP-Link router:

Hardware Version: Archer A7 v5.0

Firmware Version 1.0.10 Build 20190517 rel.65170(5553)

I logged in with my TP-Link ID and enabled TP-Link Dynamic DNS for the service provider. I set up my domain name and it works as expected while I am logged in to the router.

As soon as I log in again after previously closing the webpage used to access the router configuration pages (to change another configuration item or just check the status of the router) it shows that DDNS is unavailable because I am no longer logged in with my TP-Link account. I can proceed to log in again, which always works fine and results in the DDNS page showing the expected correct results, but consistently fails to stay logged in after closing the browser and logging in to the router again.

I am new to TP-Link routers and TP-link DDNS, but I would have expected the router to remember my TP-Link login and stay logged in so that it can continue to provide DDNS updates whenever my IP address changes. I haven't had a change in IP address yet, but based on the fact that it shows that DDNS is not active when I log in again to the router, I am not expecting it to update whenever my IP address does change.

Could someone from TP-Link please explain if this is expected behavior, and if it is, how is it supposed to update DDNS without staying logged in?

Options
Re:Re:TP Link ID logging out automatically on my router (Dynamic DNS)
2019-07-21 19:58:39 - last edited 2019-07-23 08:27:01

Having exact same issue with Archer A7 v5.0 Firmware 1.0.10. by the way, I bought the router 2 days ago so no prior experience. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:TP Link ID logging out automatically on my router (Dynamic DNS)
2019-07-23 02:06:05

In case it helps anyone else that is confused by this, I noticed that on the login screen for the router you have the option to login using your TP-Link ID or just using the default admin/password fields. I always used the admin/password fields and assumed it wasn't related to the TP-Link ID login that you do on the Dynamic DNS page to set that up. I now realize that if you login using your TP-Link ID in the first place, the DNS seems to show that it is still active after logging in. It's almost like logging into the router through the normal admin/password fields has the effect of logging you out of the TP-Link account. That may be why it always showed logged out and DDNS inactive upon logging in to check, because the act of logging in was what made it stop using the TP-Link ID and stopped the DDNS as well. The DDNS has been working fine for me so far, although it's only been a week or so. I think it will stay working as long as I don't log in to the router the normal way and always login with TP-Link ID.

If I am right, then this should solve the DDNS problem, but it really needs to be made more intuitive what is going on. There needs to be some documention and messaging at the login screen or DDNS page that explains that it will stop working if you login the normal way. Otherwise, it is a very confusing user experience. Better yet, why not change the firmware to just allow either login method and make it unrelated to DDNS? That is what most people naturally expect anyway.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:TP Link ID logging out automatically on my router (Dynamic DNS)
2019-07-23 08:25:31

Reederoo wrote

In case it helps anyone else that is confused by this, I noticed that on the login screen for the router you have the option to login using your TP-Link ID or just using the default admin/password fields. I always used the admin/password fields and assumed it wasn't related to the TP-Link ID login that you do on the Dynamic DNS page to set that up. I now realize that if you login using your TP-Link ID in the first place, the DNS seems to show that it is still active after logging in. It's almost like logging into the router through the normal admin/password fields has the effect of logging you out of the TP-Link account. That may be why it always showed logged out and DDNS inactive upon logging in to check, because the act of logging in was what made it stop using the TP-Link ID and stopped the DDNS as well. The DDNS has been working fine for me so far, although it's only been a week or so. I think it will stay working as long as I don't log in to the router the normal way and always login with TP-Link ID.

If I am right, then this should solve the DDNS problem, but it really needs to be made more intuitive what is going on. There needs to be some documention and messaging at the login screen or DDNS page that explains that it will stop working if you login the normal way. Otherwise, it is a very confusing user experience. Better yet, why not change the firmware to just allow either login method and make it unrelated to DDNS? That is what most people naturally expect anyway.

Thanks for the reply.   Very smart observation. I am going to do the same as you suggested which is always logging in using the tp-link ID.    But very weird that logging in using the local router password logs the router out of the cloud.     Also did you notice that once you log in with tplink ID, there is no way to log out without logging out of the cloud ?  Or maybe thats by design 

Options