Votes

Smart Plug & Switches Schedule Enhancement - minutes offset from sunrise and sunset

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

Smart Plug & Switches Schedule Enhancement - minutes offset from sunrise and sunset

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-22 19:14:12 - last edited 2019-12-29 19:44:50

I would like to suggest an improvement to the schedule feature of your smart plugs and switches and of course the Kasa app.

I do like the ability to use sunrise and sunset times in the schedule. For me it could be even better if we could specify an minutes offset from sunrise and sunset. For example, I want my indoor lights to turn on "15 minutes before sunset" because it gets dark inside before the actual sunset. So if we could specify a number of minutes (0 - 60), before or after, sunrise or sunset in the schedule it would be most helpful.

=================================================================================

WORKAROUND: Here's the workaround I'm using which was suggested by @Grandpa-Ron.

I wanted my indoor lights to switch on about 15 minutes before sunset. I installed IFTTT app on my phone. In IFTTT I created an applet which uses the Weather Underground widget as the trigger and the Kasa widget for the action. I found a city which has a sunset about 15 minutes before my home town and used its sunset as the trigger the lights to switch on. Has been working great for me.

Of course it would still be easier if the Kasa app could just allow an offset for sunset and sunrise. But I guess that will have to wait.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Smart Plug & Switches Schedule Enhancement - minutes offset from sunrise and sunset-Solution
2019-10-05 02:34:41 - last edited 2019-12-29 19:35:38

I use IFTTT and Weather Underground to achieve that.  I’m in Indiana so I did a little research and found Pittsburg, PA had a sunrise about 30 minutes earlier, so I used that location in WU.  So simple!

Recommended Solution
Options
17 Reply
Re:Smart Plug & Switches Schedule Enhancement - minutes offset from sunrise and sunset
2019-01-22 20:14:44 - last edited 2019-05-08 23:38:47

@NikD63 Thank you for your suggestion. Your idea of having a offset when using sunrise or sunset functions will be forwarded to our developers for consideration.

Options
Re:Smart Plug & Switches Schedule Enhancement - minutes offset from sunrise and sunset
2019-01-29 23:28:16 - last edited 2019-05-08 23:38:47

I will second this suggestion, the room was dark before the smart bulb and smart plug turned on.

There are three types of twilight; civil, nautical and astronomical.  Civil has the most light, perhaps adjusting sunrise and sunset time to the civil time would work.

Options
2019-01-30 14:56:48 - last edited 2019-05-08 23:38:47

I have been looking for this option/feature as well. I would like to use this on the Smart switch controlling my porch lights. 

There is no needd to have them on until a few minutes after sunset, then off a few minutes before.

If minimizing you energy usage is a goal, this will definately help!

Options
2019-04-07 14:40:37 - last edited 2019-05-08 23:38:47

i agree completely with this suggestion!!!!  

Options
2019-05-28 15:01:06

I agree and support this feature as well.

Wemo and Leviton both support this offset ability.

I do like that it shows on the main device page what time the light will come on each day when you do have the Sunset option set.

Options
Re:Re:Smart Plug & Switches Schedule Enhancement - minutes offset from sunrise and sunset
2019-07-30 02:41:13

Love the idea! 

Options
2019-08-22 02:18:07

how do i connet TP link remote access

NikD63 wrote

I would like to suggest an improvement to the schedule feature of your smart plugs and switches and of course the Kasa app.

I do like the ability to use sunrise and sunset times in the schedule. For me it could be even better if we could specify an minutes offset from sunrise and sunset. For example, I want my indoor lights to turn on "15 minutes before sunset" because it gets dark inside before the actual sunset. So if we could specify a number of minutes (0 - 60), before or after, sunrise or sunset in the schedule it would be most helpful.

how do i use preferences

Options
2019-08-27 22:11:57

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you all know about Smart Actions our newest feature in the Kasa App.  You can currently set 4 actions.  Motion Sensing,  Control with a switch, Schedule a scene and an Auto-off timer.

we will be working on some helpful guides soon but check them out.  they should be live now. 

Options
Re:Re:Smart Plug & Switches Schedule Enhancement - minutes offset from sunrise and sunset
2019-08-30 14:49:45

I agree. I purchased the switch to replace older timer switch to turn on porch lights automatically as it requires less seasonal adjustments.

I read about the sunset setting before purchasing and figured it would turn on a bit early. I'd prefer a 20 minute offset for my location.

Options
Re:Smart Plug & Switches Schedule Enhancement - minutes offset from sunrise and sunset-Solution
2019-10-05 02:34:41 - last edited 2019-12-29 19:35:38

I use IFTTT and Weather Underground to achieve that.  I’m in Indiana so I did a little research and found Pittsburg, PA had a sunrise about 30 minutes earlier, so I used that location in WU.  So simple!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 14

Views: 6791

Replies: 17

Voters 14

+ 10 Voters