Archer C50 Guest Wi-Fi Network...not so secure? Everything on the network on show.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C50 Guest Wi-Fi Network...not so secure? Everything on the network on show.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-23 23:02:07
Model: Archer C50  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: Latest

Recently got one of these and updated it to the latest firmware (as you would). I setup the guest network and enabled isolation etc.

I then logged in under the guest network and it appears the entire network is available. Every PC, every NAS and shared drive all sitting there.

Is that supposed to happen? I assumed it would purely offer internet acces and nothing else.

Thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C50 Guest Wi-Fi Network...not so secure? Everything on the network on show.
2019-04-24 00:46:12

@Jabber 

When you are in the Guest network menu, where it says "Allow Guests To Access My Local Network:"

That should be set to Disabled, if it is, Enable it Save, switch it back to Disabled, and Save. The isolation option would prevent other devices connected to the Guest network from talking to each other, but should have no access to devices on the main network.

Options
Re:Archer C50 Guest Wi-Fi Network...not so secure? Everything on the network on show.
2019-04-24 12:32:14 - last edited 2019-04-24 12:33:14

Thanks for getting back. Yes you would think so. Unfortunately, there is no such option.

Tough one! Any chance of a firmware fix? On the emulators for V1 V2 and V3 they have the option you mention. Not the V4. Running these in AP mode.

Thanks

Options
2019-04-24 20:49:03

@Jabber 

No, it doesn't have to do with the firmware. The reason you have access to the main network is becuase you are using the C50 in AP Mode. You need to set the router to be in router mode. 

In AP mode the router is just a passthrough device or a extension of the main router so the main router controls what packets go where. 

Options
Re:Re:Archer C50 Guest Wi-Fi Network...not so secure? Everything on the network on show.
2019-04-25 14:57:54 - last edited 2019-04-25 14:59:41

Great, bit pointless but looks like we'll be sending them back to the retailer.

Why wouldnt you want to run purely an AP for a wi-fi guest network?

Thanks anyway.

Options
2019-04-25 17:09:26

@Jabber 

You are very welcome

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1042

Replies: 5