Deco M5v2 DHCP IP Reservation restricted to dynamic allocation range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-24 16:00:45
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.8

On every previous router I’ve had, I could reserve IP addresses based on MAC IDs that were outside the range set to be automatically / dynamically allocated for DHCP requests.  However it seems the Deco devices restrict the reserved addresses to the more limited pool of addresses.  For example, I’d like my printer to always get 192.168.1.99 while workstations are given any available addresses between 192.168.1.100-200.   Other specially reserved devises on my network are 192.168.1.50-59, and other printers are .90-99 

I don’t want to set the DHCP server to dole out addresses from 2 to 254 in order to implement these reservations. 

Do I need to request that as a firmware update,  or is there some other workaround I’ve missed?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5v2 DHCP IP Reservation restricted to dynamic allocation range
2019-04-24 20:40:03

@Brent117 

If you want to use the reservation you can adjust the DHCP pool to the addresses you want connect your devices, then reserve them in the app.

I would staically assign the devices the IP addresses since you alreay know what addresses you want for them.

If you would like to be able to reserve a IP outside of the pool we can forward that suggestion for consideration.

Options
2020-09-18 21:54:30

@Tony 

YES please allow us to assign static IP addresses outside of the DHCP range. If we can change the range of dynamic IPs to some quantity less than 255, we should be able to use the ones that are outside that range.

Thanks!

Options
2021-01-19 18:07:59

This doesnt seem to have any traction. I cannot just assign IPs to devices because the dynamic range doesnt know about the static ip connected devices. 

This causes the problem of having to set the IP for every new device I connect and prior to setting that , the device could connect as one of my static IPs on my network. 

OR 

I could lose all security and only put my static devices on the internal network and put every other device on the guest_network.

OR

Only use them as access points and lose all the added security, forcing me to keep another router that they can link to via wire only.

This could be simplified by just adding the ability to set dhcp reservation pools. Please

Options