Issue with TPLink Archer A7: Internet to Archer good, Devices cannot stay on WiFi.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Issue with TPLink Archer A7: Internet to Archer good, Devices cannot stay on WiFi.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-30 21:43:41
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Bought the Archer A7 a month ago (latest firmware installed as of today) because I had issues with my current ISP Spectrum and their WiFi routers.  

Background: for about a year of using Spectrum’s combo modem/router with no issues, one day it just started doing the following:

-no device could remain on the WiFi network. The network was always there, but whenever I would try to hop on the 5g it would immediately boot me off (from iPhone, iPad, MacBook - actually MacBook would kind of hang for a while then give up). I would then try and hop onto 2g but without fail would always say that I’m entering the wrong password.  

-pluging via Ethernet into the LAN, the internet would work fine, both directly from the modem as well as from the router. 

Spectrum technicians came over and tried to diagnose but in the end I received new equipment. But i would barely last a day with new equipment before the above would happen again.  This cycle happened three times before one technician said that the hardware they were giving me had known problems and that I should get an Archer A7. 

So, here I am now. The exact same thing is happening with my Archer and I cant for the life of me think that its a hardware thing since it happened three times prior with different hardware from different manufacturers.  I have done everything technicians and support have recommended. All sorts of rebooting and resetting and nothing helps unless I completely change equipment. 

Has anyone else experienced this?  I realized there could be a ton of reasons. But if we ruled out hardware, could something from the cable modem be altering anything inside of the router? Like settings, etc.

Would environmental causes (many people or many signals in the area) really cause me to not be able to log on to my own signal? Not even for a second?  

This is also a compounded stressor because I work from home. So...I cant do too much without some robust internet.  

Thanks for literally any help on inching towards a resolution.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Issue with TPLink Archer A7: Internet to Archer good, Devices cannot stay on WiFi.
2019-04-30 22:10:29

@Groovmuffn 

There are a couple of things to try.

-Change the wireless name and password on the router if the TP-Link was changed to be the same name and password of the ISP router.

-Forget the network name on the device and reconnect so it prompts you for the password again, in case it was entered wrong accidently.

-Do a factory default on the TP-Link router, and leave the wireless settings defaulted, connect  your devices to the router to see how clients react.

I am thinking maybe the client devices or the saved networks are what is causing the weird connection issues. 

Options
Re:Re:Issue with TPLink Archer A7: Internet to Archer good, Devices cannot stay on WiFi.
2019-04-30 22:31:01 - last edited 2019-04-30 22:32:02

I definitely did all of that. Same issue persists.

After factory reset, there was no change in the troubling behavior mentioned before. Really strange. 

Options
Re:Issue with TPLink Archer A7: Internet to Archer good, Devices cannot stay on WiFi.
2019-04-30 23:19:08

@Groovmuffn 

Go into the TP-Link router, and configure higher wireless channels since you are dealing with mainly apple products.

For the 2.4GHz set that to channel 11, and for the 5GHz set that to the highest channel on the list.

Options
2021-01-16 09:16:01

@Groovmuffn 

This is my existence as of yesterday. I too have checked all my settings, rebooted, reconfigured on the Archer 7 with no luck. 

I think it is the ISP (Spectrum), only because while my wifi was clicking on and off all day, my cable TV picture was pixelating in tandem with it. Also, it was happening while we had some moderate winds. 

First off, we had a worse bout of wind a week prior with minimal disruption, so why now?

Soectrum did an account change to increase my internet speeds, and I am wondering in that "upgrade" if somehow a function/check box or some other change may have caused the communication disruption with a router other than their own. 

Did you ever get this resolved?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3138

Replies: 4

Related Articles