RE205 Range Extenders

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RE205 Range Extenders

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
RE205 Range Extenders
RE205 Range Extenders
2019-05-05 05:37:22
Model: RE205  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have two RE205 range extenders. I purchased one earlier and it works perfectly but the last bit of our house doesn't receive a strong enough wifi signal. I purchased a second one hoping to solve the issue. I've been having trouble setting up the second one to spread the wifi signal to the remaining part of our house. Is it possible to have 2 of this type of extender to connect or would I have to look into a different one?

Options
1 Reply
Re:RE205 Range Extenders
2019-05-06 23:10:11

@Jacxl2b1 

It sounds like you are trying to do what is called daisy chaining.  What Daisy Chaining means is you are trying to connect 1 Range Extender to another.  While in practice this is possible, in reality it should not be attempted.  This article explains how range extender works.  https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/150611?page=1

If you add a 2nd range extender into the this chain you will further add delay and reduce speed.  If you want to use two range extenders it is best to have the router centerally located and Range Extenders in oposite ends of the home.  

Another option for you might be Powerline Adapters.  With that you plug one unit into the wall and connect it to your router via ethernet.  Then another unit in a remote location.  The devcies will use your Powerlines to trasnfer the signal vs a wireless relay.  Usually this is a faster more stable connection than Range Extenders.  

Best Regards 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 986

Replies: 1