Pretty simple QoS question, untagged traffic priority?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-23 13:41:29
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 180122

Pretty simple question i think, answer not found in documentation but may be ovious to someone who knows QoS better than I. 

(For an example I will use a 100Mbps connection to make things simple.)

The type of QoS used on the C1200 (the newer type, replaced bandwidth control) allows me to set an IP address as high (60%), middle (30%), or low (10%).     I understand this QoS to mean that under a full 100Mbps load, IPs marked high will get 60Mbps guaranteed, IPs marked medium will get 30Mbps guaranteed, and IPs marked low will get 10Mbps guaranteed.  Examples of this would be devices doing video streams:

-A low priorty device is streaming at 40Mbps, and a medium priorty device is streaming at 40Mbps when a high priority device comes online and wants to stream 80Mbps.  The high priority would get 60Mbps, and the medium priority would get 30Mbps, and the low priority would get 10Mbps.

-A network of 5 low priority devices are saturating a 100Mbps line, when a PBX on a high priority device needs to make a phone call.  The high priority device will carve out as much traffic as it needs up to 60Mbps at the expense of the 5 low priortiy devices.

-Basically, QoS rules only take place when a line is saturated and something higher needs traffic, the lower things must move out of the way up to a point.

Yes?  Is that right?

Then to my real question.  What about traffic from an IP not listed in the table (so called 'bulk' traffic)?  Does bulk traffic automatically get tagged as 'low priority'?  Is it farther below 'low priority' and I should make my QoS numbers leave a few percent open for the bulk?  Does the bulk traffic just get whats leftover and if something with a rule is using 100% bulk traffic is screwed?  Basically, how does QoS affect traffic from IPs it has no rules on?

In the past with bandwidth shaping, I would get a number 95% of my speedtest measurements, and divy that up among IP ranges.  This way I could give my DHCP range a pretty basic limit so nothing ever interfered with devices I had on static IPs with specific shaping rules of their own.  This meant all IPs had some kind of rule, but with the newer QoS I just dont know what to do traffic from unlisted IPs.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Pretty simple QoS question, untagged traffic priority?
2019-05-24 14:58:40

@mscully 

The way you explained QoS is pretty much on point.

With respect to your question about devices not on the QoS list. By default they will work as if they were on low priority.

Options
Re:Re:Pretty simple QoS question, untagged traffic priority?
2019-05-24 17:48:47

Tony,

Thanks for the reply.  It begs another question though.

If IPs that are not in 'high' or 'middle' are automatically in 'low', then why have an option to  set IPs as 'low'?  Whats the difference between an IP listed in the 'low' section and an unlisted IP?

Options
Re:Pretty simple QoS question, untagged traffic priority?
2019-05-24 18:17:29

@mscully 

Just you have further control on what you want to lower priority set to. I can see what you mean with just having High and Medium, and the rest be low.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 967

Replies: 3