1.3.0 Ethernet LAN Blocked

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-23 15:46:26
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20190419

Upgraded to 1.3.0 about 24 hours ago, and for the last 2 hours I've been fighting to get anything at all online.

After some troubleshooting I think I discovered the issue.  I use a Linux server as a pi-hole, and what appears to happen is with that much traffic going to the Ethernet LAN, the Deco M5 completely blocks the Ethernet LAN link.

Ethernet Backhaul from the other Decos drop too, and all my hardwired devices can't get Internet or even a DHCP address! Since all the DNS traffic was going to the pi-hole even the wireless devices all quit working.

For now I've set the DNS servers to default, so I'm getting the upstream server IPs when I check settings on my devices.  I'll monitor and see if it does this again without the pi-hole, but I have to say this is a SERIOUS bug in this software. To take down the entire wired LAN like that is beyond heavy handed. If that one device was quarantined as a potential problem, sure that I would understand, but this breaks so much stuff to do this.

Options
34 Reply
Re:1.3.0 Ethernet LAN Blocked
2019-05-23 16:11:45

@CSEngineer 

Thank you for the heads up. We passed what you found to our engineers as we continue to look into this.

Were you able to look at your quarentined devices to see if your DHCP server was listed there?

Options
2019-05-23 16:40:59

After an hour of 4k streaming on my wired smart TV, it has been kicked off the network, I can't reach it or ping it from a wireless device.

This is a complete mess.

Options
Re:Re:1.3.0 Ethernet LAN Blocked
2019-05-24 03:42:41

CSEngineer wrote

After an hour of 4k streaming on my wired smart TV, it has been kicked off the network, I can't reach it or ping it from a wireless device.

This is a complete mess.

It may be related to the antivirus setting "Infected Device Quarantine", but turning that off things seem to not be getting kicked off the network, but time will tell.  It looks like some kind of packet flood filter has been added which might be tripping this.

Options
2019-05-24 03:48:22
The Antivirus history is spotty at best, but no, even though I've gotten numerous alerts from the app about different devices being quarantined since upgrading, none of them show in the Antivirus history. But this does seem to be a working theory since disabling the quarantine seems to be helping. I have 2 incidents in my history, one is my laptop being blocked for doing a port scan on the gateway, and the other is an SSDP DDOS attack supposedly being perpetrated by my Harmony Hub, but that corresponds to the time I had it searching the network for my Roku.
Options
2019-05-24 15:11:38

I actually got the same setup as you, I have the same problem. Essentiall I have a switched that connects to my Main Deco, It appears all the device that connects to the Ethernet is block. Is there any resolution on this?

Options
2019-05-24 15:33:51

DecoMan5 wrote

I actually got the same setup as you, I have the same problem. Essentiall I have a switched that connects to my Main Deco, It appears all the device that connects to the Ethernet is block. Is there any resolution on this?

Hey, so here is how I got things mostly working again.

1. Go into the App, Under Antivirus, disable the "Infected Device Quarantine"

2. Disconnect the ethernet LAN from your main Deco (not the uplink to the modem/gateway for internet)

3. Reboot main Deco (I just pulled the power)

4. Wait for the Main Deco to come back, Wifi devices and the other decos to connect (if they are plugged in for ethernet backhaul, they'll default to wifi backhaul after a timeout).

5. Plug the ethernet LAN back into the main deco

6. Verify from a wired device you have internet and can get a DHCP address (unplug ethernet from one of these devices, wait 15 seconds, and replug, that will trigger a renewal of the DHCP address)

7. If all is now good, unplug and replug any ethernet secondary deco units to get it back on ethernet backhaul

It is bit of a pain, but hopefully that will get you back up and running.

Options
2019-05-24 21:16:35

One thing to add is if IPTV was enabled the Decos LAN ports will create a VLAN bridge which will affect communication

Options
2019-05-25 23:18:18

Additional observations.

Setting a DNS server of anything other than the default seems to trigger this issue. It results in ethernet backhaul not working, and it makes the Deco mesh fragile!  If one of the decos goes offline the entire network goes down and all internet traffic stops.

I'm giving up and flashing back to 1.2.4 it is the only stable version of software so far released.  Get it together Tp-link, this is ridiculous.

Options
2019-05-26 01:18:57

WARNING!

IF you Remove a Deco from the network with 1.3.0 you CANNOT add it back. The app get stuck in a loop, even though the deco is blinking blue and right next to the phone, it won't add it.

The older recovery method of factory reseting the Deco connecting to it and using the flash update package DOES NOT WORK.  I now have 1 crippled Deco and 2 paper weights.  What a nightmare!

Options
2019-05-26 02:20:55

Maybe I am having no issues because I am running in A/P mode?  3 M5 V1's  running ethernet backhaul 2 of them (both "remote) connected to MOCA 2.0 adapters.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5506

Replies: 34