Archer C7 issues with wireless speed at desktop.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-23 16:47:42
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.14.3

Greetings,

I have been getting agonizingly slow wifi connection at my desktop, which is only in next room. DL and UL speeds are erratic, but never fast. One was as bad as 1.8Mbps DL. Pinging from main machine, with ethernet wire connected, is erratic as well. Often times no packets are received by desktop IP address.

Interestingly, my laptop, in the same room, gets a connection that is 20 Mbps, which is at least 2 times what I'm now getting on my desktop in the best case. However, I cannot ping the laptop at all. The hard-wired machine in next room has speeds of 114.6 Mbps/11.3 Mbps.

I had a power outage the other day, and could not disconnect the router from the outlet before power came back on. Do the symptoms above indicate a power surge may have fried something? Or does anyone have any ideas as to what to try now, before I buy a new router? Any suggestions wouldl be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MrR

Options
14 Reply
Re:Archer C7 issues with wireless speed at desktop.
2019-05-23 16:49:37
BTW: I'm also thinking that I might need a new wifi card in my desktop or something. This is because the desktop gets single digit speed, while the laptop gets 10x that.
Options
2019-05-23 17:46:12

@MrR 

Usually routers affected by a power surge will not power on at all or they will end up crashing booting up doing a endless boot cycle.

If other wireless devices get better speed then your desktop it may be the device itself. If the computer you are on is in the next room over, make sure you are connecting to the 5GHz network, and not the 2.4Ghz. 

Make sure you are running the latest build, which for hardware version 2, should be 180425 https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-c7/

Options
Re:Re:Archer C7 issues with wireless speed at desktop.
2019-05-23 18:07:27 - last edited 2019-05-23 18:15:07

Thanks. I'm not sure how to check to see that I'm not connecting over 2,.4Ghz. Can you instruct on that? Many thanks.

I have been to the TPlink equipment managing page from both desktops, but have been doing most checking on one that is hard-wired from modem. I'll try some things, but hope you post some instructions on checking that soon. Many thanks for your time.

OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. 150427 seems to be firmware number, so upgrade may help, yes?

Options
2019-05-23 18:14:38

@MrR 

When you log into your router, on the left side select Wireless 5GHz. The wireless network name to the right is what  you want to connect to. If you want to see what you named the 2.4GHz network select on the left side. If they both happen to be named the same, change the 5GHz name, something like addding 5G at the end like the screenshot has would help differentiate. 

Options
2019-05-23 18:19:48 - last edited 2019-05-23 18:24:52

Interesting. I am certainly connecting to the frequency/channel? that is what the 2.4Ghz is named. Do I have to set up another wireless connection using my OS? Thanks. It looks like you're onto something. I'll look to see if I can see the other, 5 Ghz name as one of my connection choices. I do not see a choice of connecting to anything other than my 2.4GHz access.

Oh, and my settings on the 5 GHz differs from your in that mine is set for "11 a/n/ac mixed", where yours is "11 an..."

Options
2019-05-23 18:22:35

@MrR 

If you do not see the 5GHz name, then your computer is probably not capable of seeing the 5GHz network. 

In which case you could get a Dualband USB network adapter that should help.

Options
2019-05-23 18:27:08
Gotcha. Thanks. I was considering the necessity of getting a new wifi card anyway. I was looking at a wifi card by TPLink, a TG 3468. Would that work, or do I need something that plugs into a USB port? Thanks again.
Options
2019-05-23 18:56:14

@MrR 

I would probably go for the Archer T2U or the Archer T2U Nano for the price and ease of use. You could go for a PCI card, just make sure your computer has a PCIe slot. The PCI card that would be recommended is the TL-WDN4800 or the Archer T4E.

Options
2019-05-23 19:31:50
I guess I should have waited for your response, Tony. Thanks. Was it a bad idea for me to buy the AC1300/Archer T6E? It is a dual band adapter. I should have a PCIExpress slot open. I see three unused cover-plates at the back of my CPU tower. I will, of course, verify by opening the tower before I unwrap the card.
Options
2019-05-23 19:33:32

@MrR 

That works, you shouldn't have issues with that card either.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2089

Replies: 14

Related Articles