Devices connected to a specific (wrong) Deco

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-24 18:29:22
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest

@Tony

Hey Tony, you've been very helpful with some of my other questions so I have one, well actually two more for you.

II have a DECO in my "office" (empty 2nd bedroom) in the back of the house, 1 in my L/R and one in my garage.  

They are in access point mode and all on ethernet backhaul.  It's about 25+ft from office Deco to L/R, another 25+ or so feet from L/R to garage all on 1 level. 

My question is actually twofold:

Is there a way to force a device to connect to a specific Deco?

I just installed the latest firmware that shows which Deco a device is connected to and here is the issue.  I have 2 Nest IQ WiFI 5ghz security cams in the front of my house on the sides of my garage.  Both cams are not more than 10 feet from my Garage Deco and like 25+ from L/R Deco.  1 cam connects to the Garage Deco no problem but the second one connects to my Living Room Deco like 25+ feet away.  I powered off the L/R Deco and then the cam connected to the Garage Deco 10 feet away as it should but as soon as I turned the L/R one back on it reconnected to the L/R Deco. 

There is an option to "turn off mesh" for a device.  I thought maybe turning off mesh would "stick" it to where it is currently connected but it did not. Not really sure what that option is for.

In any case is there any way to "force" a device to a specific Deco and have it stay there?

Thanks,

Ed

Options
19 Reply
Re:Devices connected to a specific (wrong) Deco
2019-05-24 20:08:05 - last edited 2019-05-24 20:20:01

@RetiredInFl 

Try disabling beamforming (bottom right of Deco app > Advanced > Beamforming in the Deco app. The L/R Deco may not trying to increase the signal toward that camera.

Set that one camera up as a high priority (tap on device name in device list, enable the ticker for high priority), see if the Deco will connect the camera to the garage Deco for faster performance.

To answer your question, you are not able to force a device to a Deco unit.

Options
Re:Re:Devices connected to a specific (wrong) Deco
2019-05-24 20:24:06

Tony wrote

@RetiredInFl 

Try disabling beamforming (bottom right of Deco app > Advanced > Beamforming in the Deco app. The L/R Deco may not trying to increase the signal toward that camera.

Set that one camera up as a high priority (tap on device name in device list, enable the ticker for high priority), see if the Deco will connect the camera to the garage Deco for faster performance.

To answer your question, you are not able to force a device to a Deco unit.

Don't have the High Priority option.  Maybe because I am in access point mode?  I turned off beamforming and will see what happens. 

Options
2019-05-24 20:27:11 - last edited 2021-02-08 18:39:54

@RetiredInFl 

Yes, being in AP mode kills a majority of the router features.

Options
2019-11-12 19:24:15

I have the exact same dilemma,

Anyone found a way to resolve it?

Options
2020-05-06 07:34:08

I have the same problem. 
My AV receiver and TV keep connecting to the office Deco two floors up. And then complain they don't have enough signal. Spotify connect keeps faltering.

A really annoying problem that makes an otherwise good product virtually useless.

Options
2020-05-06 16:04:53 - last edited 2020-05-06 16:07:21

@Thijs @Tony  that's probably why they didn't update the M9 to the 1.3.1 firmware that shows these connections. :)  It probably caused too many people to question the same thing. I sold my M5's for M9's for the greater speed and noted that "feature" was missing since I've been on 1.3.0 from last august and they seemed to have abandoned the M9 as far as firmwaupdates.  

Options
2020-05-07 14:53:03

@RetiredInFl 

I can see that sentiment, given the release patterns across all the Decos. For firmware release dates those are hard to say for sure as sometimes a last-minute bugs would be found causing further delay. The info I have so far is that 1.4.0 will be the next update for the M9, it is just a matter of when HQ will make that available. 

Options
2020-05-07 14:57:46

@Tony Well, checked the M9 support section and it seems the "Rev 2" M9 Plus has recent updates but my "Rev 1.8" has been left behind.  

Options
2020-05-07 16:56:16

@RetiredInFl 

V2 came out later than the V1, but neither has UI over the other.

Options
2020-09-21 19:17:21

@RetiredInFl 

Reboot the DECO in your L/R. When your camera connects to your Garage DECO, untick the MESH option. That would make your camera stay on that DECO node (Garage). Once camera is connected and MESH option unticked. Turn on and refresh your L/R Deco node.

This worked for me when I tried making Chromecast stick to a specific Deco node. Hope this helps yes

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 22838

Replies: 19

Related Articles