Parental controls need work, kids can still easily get p*rn

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-28 17:32:46 - last edited 2020-11-18 18:46:40
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.8

I found two flaws with the parental controls, one pretty serious that I am hoping can be fixed ASAP.

1. The adult content filter will block access to p*rn websites but I found out in my son's insight history that he discovered how to get p*rn anyway.  He was doing it through Google image search.  Put in the right keywords in Google and you can get to see plenty of cached p*rn images hosted in the google.com domain.  You (TP Link or TrendMicro) need to add the ability to enforce safe search which will block this.

2. The adult content filter is too aggressive. It filters p*rn but it also filters legitimate websites like nra.org.  Please seperate out p*rn filters from other adult content or add a whitelist option.

* I have to use p*rn because the forum filter won't accept the full word!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Parental controls need work, kids can still easily get p*rn
2019-05-29 19:58:59 - last edited 2019-05-29 19:59:10

@RSF 

Unfortuatnely, the filters are determined by TrendMicro which we do not modify.

In your current situation, you can opt to filter out certain websites by creating stricter profiles. It might be best to completely restrict access to the internet to ensure there is no possible way to get a hold of adult content.

Options
Re:Re:Parental controls need work, kids can still easily get p*rn
2019-05-29 21:00:35

Thank you for the reply.

The problem I am having (which I know is out of your hands) is that most schools now are requiring their work to be typed and submitted on Google Docs.  As of yet I haven't found an acceptable way to allow Google Docs but blacklist Google image search since all their services are in the google.com domain.

One solution I have tried is to use a parent friendly DNS service like OpenDNS or CleanBrowsing DNS but they have their own problems or limitations given the limit of how much one can configure the Deco's firmware.

But what about URL whitelists?  Is that completely in TrendMicro's ballpark or is that something that TP Link can add?

Options
2019-05-29 21:24:16

@RSF 

The Deco app looks to have either a category filter or add custom websites to block, but not to allow. 

There was a case in which a user wanted to specifically block reddit. The way they were able to do it was by putting in the url: www.reddit.com

You could try: images.google.com

As far as with the categories, that would be coming from TrendMicro. There are third party solutions but require configuring the device itself rather then from a network stand point.

Options
2020-05-04 17:09:00

@onemoar not your place to judge. That's between him and his child. You may be right, you may be wrong, but either way he's within his legal rights to request this feature upgrade and try to slow the access to certain adult content. 

Options
2020-11-17 21:14:16

@onemoarYou have no busines in this forum then... It is very rude of you and you should be banned from this forum.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2392

Replies: 5