Cannot connect to SmartPlug SSID to complete device setup in Kasa (KP400 Outdoor)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Cannot connect to SmartPlug SSID to complete device setup in Kasa (KP400 Outdoor)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-02 02:24:25

I have been attempting to setup a KP400 Outdoor SmartPlug.  The LED is flashing orange and green and the Kasa app sees the temporary TP-Link SmartPlug_XXXX SSID. However, no device that I attempt setup from actually joins the temporary network in order to allow Kasa to complete the setup process.

I have tried from two Android devices and an iPad.  The Android devices see the network, attempt to join and immediately (less than a second) fail at joining at revert back to the primary SSID.   On the iPad, iOS reports that the password to join the network is incorrect.  I have not specified the password.  According to the TP-Link instructions it should be blank / no password.  

I have hard reset the SmartPlug four times by holding the button for at least 10 seconds.  I have the exact same issue every time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Options
8 Reply
Re:Cannot connect to SmartPlug SSID to complete device setup in Kasa (KP400 Outdoor)
2019-06-03 21:16:05

Some Devices will connect to the default network name but once it see there is actually no internet there then the client device will try to negotiate either LTE or back to the main network.  You can try to disable Cellular service and forget the main network from that point your device will not have anything to fall back on and should then connect to the default SSID to allow you to complete the setup

Options
Re:Cannot connect to SmartPlug SSID to complete device setup in Kasa (KP400 Outdoor)
2020-11-24 01:29:47

@Carl I tried all the suggestions.- nothing works

Using a iPhone

Using home 2.4 GHz network

I connect the phone to the home 2.4 GHz wifi network

Then start the Kasa app

Press + to add a device; then smart plug; then smart outdoor plug KP400

Plug in the KP400

Wait for orange and green blink - mostly orange and faded green

Go to settings and connect the phone WiFi to the smart plug wifi

The wifi says it is connected tot the KP400

Then go back to the app and it says unable to connect to the smart outdoor plug(?)

Try again and the screen jumps to a previous screen then immediately jumps back to the unable to connect screen

Restart the device but the instructions say there is a restart button but there is not any!

Very frustrating; poor instructions - no reset button as stated in the instructions and no update to instructions to reflect no reset button.

I have other Kasa TP-Link devices and they work.fine

I just purchased two KP400 - are these defective?

Options
2020-11-30 01:48:20
I am with TGNWIUSA. I have followed all of the same steps and cannot seem to get this device connected. I have a KP400 already connected to the network and functions completely normal and setup was a breeze. This one I just purchased does not want to connect and there is no reset button! Equally frustrated!!!
Options
2020-11-30 18:37:51
I chatted with customer service about this issue. They told me the reset button is either of the power buttons on either side of the wifi indicator. Press and hold either for 10 seconds. The green light only flickers to assure the reset, which is so subtle it could go unnoticed. Second, I was able to resolve the KP400 connection issue. They had me use my wife's iPhone 8 Plus with iOS 14.2. Using the same instructions, it worked in about 10 seconds. I'm still frustrated my iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 14.2 wouldn't work and they could not tell me why.
Options
2020-11-30 22:53:51

@TGNWIUSA 

Its possible there is something on the client device is its not liking like YokeMac stated.  Have you tried a different device?  Another thing you can do is is remove the Kasa App from your phone and reinstall it.  It sounds like intinally you are able to connect to the network but when you go back to the app its not connected.  I did myself have issues with my iPhone where I had to disable LTE/Cellular because the phone did not detect interent on the default network it defautled to the Cellular causing a similar connection issue.  If none of that works i would say its possible the plug is bad and we would want to attempt a replacement to see if that resolve the concern. 

Options
2020-12-01 01:31:34
Just log in to thank you for this post, your suggestion solved my issue.
Options
2021-01-02 20:18:10

@Carl I had the exact same issue and then I realized that with ios 14, you have to explicitly give access to Kasa to connect to the wifi. The Kasa app shows this message when you log in at first and I just overlooked it. 

Hope this helps others. 

Options
2021-01-06 01:13:04

@AmarS 

Thank you I did not know that myself but I'm not surprised.  Apple even changed the way they give permissions to developer apps in iOS 14, though they haven't updated the FAQ yet.  That was fun figuring out.  I'm glad you saw this a shared thank you!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2898

Replies: 8