Can't set a password on the 5ghz extended network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-05 23:02:13
Model: RE580D  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have configured this device several times. It allows me to put a password on the 2.4 ghz extended network, but does not allow me to put a password on the 5ghz side. 

What am I missing? 

Thanks!

Jack

Options
7 Reply
Re:Can't set a password on the 5ghz extended network
2019-06-06 17:54:25

Jack,

Does your router support 5GHz?  If so there should be no reason why during the quick setup that the 5GHz does not allow you to connect and set a password. 

Options
Re:Re:Can't set a password on the 5ghz extended network
2019-06-06 20:38:03

Carl wrote

Jack,

Does your router support 5GHz?  If so there should be no reason why during the quick setup that the 5GHz does not allow you to connect and set a password. 

Yes, it does. When I go through the config, it sets up the 5ghz side, and I can connect to it. It just doesn't let me assign a password to it. It's even listed as an Unsecured Network. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Can't set a password on the 5ghz extended network
2019-06-06 23:21:58

@kazeej 

That would be why.   Regardless if you change the SSID to something unique the password would still be the same as your host network.  Since the host network does not have a password, you cannot assign a password to the extended network. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Can't set a password on the 5ghz extended network
2019-06-07 01:25:40 - last edited 2019-06-07 01:28:54

Carl wrote

@kazeej 

That would be why.   Regardless if you change the SSID to something unique the password would still be the same as your host network.  Since the host network does not have a password, you cannot assign a password to the extended network. 

The host network does have a password on both the 2.4 and 5 ghz. I have set up the extender with different SSIDs and matching SSIDs. Each time, I can set a password for the 2.4, but not the 5. And every time, the 5ghz shows up as an unsecured network. 

If I log into my hostr 5ghz, I have to enter a password. 

I'm not a network guy, so I apologize, but what am I missing? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Can't set a password on the 5ghz extended network
2019-06-07 21:56:50

@kazeej 

No worries you explained it very well. That is very unusal really the only way a network should come up as unsecured is if the host network is unsecured. One thing to try is to select another network and see if it comes up as a secured network and request a password.  If so we would just ask to log into your router and make sure the hot network does have a password.  You can change the password on that network as well.  If that fails then our next action would be to start a replacement process (if still in warranty)

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Can't set a password on the 5ghz extended network
2019-06-15 13:32:33

Carl wrote

@kazeej 

No worries you explained it very well. That is very unusal really the only way a network should come up as unsecured is if the host network is unsecured. One thing to try is to select another network and see if it comes up as a secured network and request a password.  If so we would just ask to log into your router and make sure the hot network does have a password.  You can change the password on that network as well.  If that fails then our next action would be to start a replacement process (if still in warranty)

I tried setting it up using WPS, and it works very well. I don't know why the other way didn't work, probably a PBCAK issue. :o)

Thanks for your help.

Options
Re:Can't set a password on the 5ghz extended network
2020-03-28 14:31:10 - last edited 2020-03-28 14:32:33

@kazeej 

Hier hetzelfde probleem, aangezien de RE450 V1.0 geen verbinding meer had heb ik deze gereset en ik kan ook geen password instellen bij het 5GHz netwerk.

Bij het 2.4GHZ netwerk wel.

Ik wil alles via de app doen aangezien snelste methode.

Is dit 5GHz netwerk toch beveiligd als het hostnetwerk beveiligd is?

Of moet ik volledig opnieuw beginnen en ook via de WPS instellen als ik ook het 5GHz netwerk een paswoord wil geven.

Ik ben ook een leek op dit gebied dus graag een uitleg die ik begrijp :-)

BTW: geen garantie meer maar voorheen had ik dit probleem niet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3151

Replies: 7