Tp Smart Plug Mini Doesn’t Reconnect After Power Loss

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-18 16:25:06
Model: HS105-KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My smart plug mini does not reconnect to wifi after a power interruption. I just have an amber indicator on the plug after everything is back up and running. The plug needs to be set up again each time it happens - a pain in the neck when you are home and a real problem if you are away when it happens.

So, what’s going on? Is this normal (if so that is a major flaw), is the plug defective, or is there something that I am missing in the setup process?

Any help is appreciated.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Tp Smart Plug Mini Doesn’t Reconnect After Power Loss
2019-06-18 16:58:45

@PerryO 

Amber lights on the smart plug can mean a few things.

Flashing amber rapidly: Factory resetting.

Solid amber: Initializing, rebooting, or no network connection

If its is blinking amber this would indicate that the power issues are causing the plug to lose its configuration.  If solid amber its either stuck in startup, in a boot loop, or does not dectect a signal.  If its the signal issue try moving the plug closer to the router and see if the light goes blue.  If so then you could be at a range threshold and would want to relocate to a stronger signal area. 

Options
Re:Re:Tp Smart Plug Mini Doesn’t Reconnect After Power Loss
2019-06-18 17:27:01 - last edited 2019-06-19 10:37:14

Hi Carl,

This has happened now 3 times in the past couple of months. The plug always reverts to a solid amber. The plug is located in the same room and is only about 10ft from the router so signal strength is not the issue.

Update:

Based on Carl’s comment about the mini plug being “stuck in startup or a boot loop”, I unplugged the mini (with its solid amber light still on) waited a few seconds and plugged it back in - and it reconnected to wifi.

Something still isn’t right with the mini plug, but this is better than having to go through the entire setup again. Of course this is still no help if the outage occurs when you are away from home (my most recent mini plug experience).

So I still hope someone can tell me how to make the mini plug function properly.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Tp Smart Plug Mini Doesn’t Reconnect After Power Loss
2019-07-05 13:45:45

July 5th - We had another 1-2 second power outage and once again my mini plug did not reconnect to wifi after power and wifi returned. It went solid amber and stayed there.  The mini plug must be physically unplugged from the outlet and plugged back in again to get it to reconnect to wifi.

Can anyone, including the TP-Link folks who follow this forum, tell me what is wrong with my mini plug and how to fix it.

Thanks

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Tp Smart Plug Mini Doesn’t Reconnect After Power Loss
2019-07-11 00:06:24

@PerryO 

It could be the plug but because unplugging it and reconnecting it restores the configuration it doesn't see to be that.  We would recommend plugging the device into another outlet or in another room to rule out the the outlet itself. 

Best Regards 

Options
2019-09-24 19:04:43

@PerryO I have 8 TP-Links which have worked correctly. We had an overnight power outage and when power restored, all came on green with power to appliances. They, however, are not controllable and do not show up in the Kasa app. What now?

Options
2019-10-05 14:05:04

@PerryO It's interesting that the natural power loss your outlet experiences locks the plug up, but an intentional power loss (unplugging it) causes a proper reset.  It sounds like the 1-2 second power loss you described above may be a brownout vs. a power loss.  I've seen bownout protection devices like this https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Protector-Brownout-Refrigerator-Appliance/dp/B00JBMSHBC/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=CjwKCAjw_uDsBRAMEiwAaFiHazxkIN_WL9pmLurynlyoeTNTR20BAO5mwl8FB8m8EQK5T8pnUYG1TBoC3-wQAvD_BwE&hvadid=326732096327&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9032065&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1o2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9011067726900686710&hvtargid=aud-646675774026%3Akwd-300549932576&hydadcr=924_1012420393&keywords=brownout+protection&qid=1570284099&sr=8-1 which interrupt the circuit when they sense voltage dropping out of range.  If your TP-Link plug is controlling a load that's important it might be worth trying something like this.

Options
2020-10-30 03:40:03

@PerryO I HAD the same issue. It seems the Kasa device reboots far sooner that my wifi router and the unit times out looking for a signal and gives up. Whats funny is I have an expensive multiradio TPlink router also. I placed a battery backup on my wifi router and I no longer have this issue unless the power is out so long that the backup dies (only once so far). TPlink needs to adjust their firmware to try and reconnect to the stored wifi credentials every couple of minutes after a boot rather than just indicating an error. 

PerryO wrote

My smart plug mini does not reconnect to wifi after a power interruption. I just have an amber indicator on the plug after everything is back up and running. The plug needs to be set up again each time it happens - a pain in the neck when you are home and a real problem if you are away when it happens.

So, what’s going on? Is this normal (if so that is a major flaw), is the plug defective, or is there something that I am missing in the setup process?

Any help is appreciated.

Options
2020-11-21 17:03:16 - last edited 2020-11-21 17:04:40

@PerryO 

I have the same problem. TP-LINK plug stinks. Most unreliable when there is an inrermittent power failure. It's NOT smart it is STUPID.

Solution: Don't ever buy TP-Link products

Options
2020-12-07 15:01:35
I'm experiencing the same problem and agree with VJois. Since no solution comes out of TP-Link: Don't ever buy TP-Link products
Options
2021-03-29 01:49:31
I was looking for a mesh router and TP-link deco s4 was on my list. However after having so many reconnect issues with their "smart" plugs I decided not to go with them due to their lack of support in this area. Wish they would figure this out.
Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 11856

Replies: 10