archer a7 wont recognize my western digital mypassport for mac

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-02 01:08:25
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

I have the tplink archer 1750 a7(us). if i plug a flahsdrive into the usb i can access it from my computer and i have no problems. when i plug my WD mypassport for mac 4tb hard drive it can see the harddrive but when i click on the folder that it is in the folder shows that there is nothing there. Almost like it cant regonize it or doesnt know how to read it even though it sees that it exist. i specifically bought this router and this hard drive because they were suppose to be compatiable. am i doing something wrong? or does the router have the ability to turn on the hard drive but the hard drive doesnt have enough juice to spin to be read. any help pleasseeee. i talk to tplink for 2 hours and finally they said they dont know. thanks

Options
11 Reply
Re:archer a7 wont recognize my western digital mypassport for mac
2019-07-02 16:39:43

@imcody 

The USB port is 2.0 so it will be able to provide up to 500 mA, typically a USB 3.0 port gives up to 1000 mA.

This is a screenshot from WDs website but just shows the AC adapter spec.

Plug in the AC adapter as it may not be getting enough power.

If you still have the same problem, what file systems do you have for the USB drive that does work, and for the one that does not?

Options
Re:Re:archer a7 wont recognize my western digital mypassport for mac
2019-07-02 17:02:52

Tony wrote

@imcody 

The USB port is 2.0 so it will be able to provide up to 500 mA, typically a USB 3.0 port gives up to 1000 mA.

This is a screenshot from WDs website but just shows the AC adapter spec.

Plug in the AC adapter as it may not be getting enough power.

If you still have the same problem, what file systems do you have for the USB drive that does work, and for the one that does not?

I don't use my book I use my passport so there's no ac adapter. It's powered by an outside source like the computer or router.

Options
2019-07-02 17:05:16
@Tony Also I think it automatically comes with the nfts+? I can't really remember or know how to find. It's specifically formatted for a Mac out of the box.
Options
2019-07-02 17:33:10

@imcody 

To get the file system info, insert the drive into your Mac computer, once the icon of the USB drive shows up on your desktop, hold control then left click on the icon, choose get info.

Do that for the working and non working drive, and we can look further into it for you on our end.

Options
2019-07-03 04:18:56

@tony the flashdrive is ms-dos (fat32) and the WD my passport for mac says mac os extended (journaled) which i believe is  hfs+

Options
2019-07-03 15:46:04 - last edited 2019-07-03 15:47:16

@imcody 

Thank you for the information, if you log into your router, are you running the firmware build of 190517?

If you are not, here is a article we have that will show you how: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2139/

Options
2019-07-03 22:00:06

Yea I am. Thanks again for helping me with this.

Options
2019-07-05 21:23:16

@imcody 

The Archer A7 only supports FAT32 and NTFS.

It does not support HFS+ (4TB Drive format) or EXFAT.

Options
2019-07-05 21:29:35

Please excuse my ignorance but do you know if I can reformat the hard drive to what the router needs and is fat32 or ntfs better? I'm trying to create a media server in the house so I would like this to be as fast as possible so I don't get any lagging while watching movies.

Options
2019-07-08 18:41:18 - last edited 2019-07-08 18:42:02

@imcody 

I am thinking FAT32 may be the choise as the Mac OS is not able to write to NTFS without additional software. If the 4TB drive will only be dealing with Windows OS or the TP-Link router then you can use NTFS. 

A big draw back for FAT32 is that it does not support file sizes above 4 GB, just wanted to note that, and reformatting will delete all the data on the drive so if you plan to do that, back up all the data somewhere else then copy it back.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3811

Replies: 11