Cannot see open 5G from AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-11 16:00:17
Model: RE220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

New RE220. House AP is a Engenius Dual Band. All iPhones and other 5G compatible devices can see and connect to this AP 5G AP. TPLink RE220 cannot even see it when scanned. Tried different 5G channels, from type 20 MHz N, 40 MHz N and 80 MHz AC, nothing works. Tried hidden SSID and not hidden SSID. 

Thinking TP Link and Engenius AP’s not compatible. Your thoughts? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Cannot see open 5G from AP
2019-07-11 18:58:58

It could be a compatiblity issue but it could have to do with the encryption too.  I would try as a test to open the network temporarily and see if it is seen then.  If not we would need the model, version and FW version of both the RE and the AP to see if we can figure out if a hardware or software issue exist. 

Options
Re:Re:Cannot see open 5G from AP
2019-07-11 19:50:15

So I took the 5G AP radio to 20 MHz and it worked. Problem is, the wireless AP 5G speed drops by a factor of 600 MBs to around 120 or less. 

Not really worth the effort on cox Gb internet plan and using this extender to extend network to a remote office. 

Going to have to use Ubiquiti products going forward. TPLink stuff is very limited in the top plan equipment it seems. 

I would Change the specs to mention this extender is very limited in it 5G range.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Cannot see open 5G from AP
2019-07-11 20:35:53

@Maruefer 

If you had to change the channel width to 20 MHz that would indcate interference or range.  Also narrowing your bandwidth will drop the speed.  Also Range Extenders regardless of manufacture will cut network speeeds around half of what you'd get dirrectly from the AP.  This is becasue of how a range extender communicates with the AP and client devices.  The Range extender can only communicate in one dirrection at a time, thus the reason for the reduced speeds.  In a situation like your I would recommend going Mesh.  You will have much more success with that.  Try any of our Deco products that have gigabit ethernet.  

Best Regards 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 869

Replies: 3