AC1750 : spotty connectivity

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-23 19:22:44
Model: Range Extender  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender that's had spotty (but liveable) performance for quite some time but lately it's becoming much more frustrating.    My scenario is that devices that are connected to the extender periodically lose internet connectivity.  When this happens, they are still connected to the extender (I can verify this also in the extender's admin screens) but just can not access the internet.    If I restart the extender, internet connectivity comes back again for a random amount of time before it's lost again.  (Sometimes it's a few minutes, sometimes an hour, etc).

Internet conectivity is otherwise fine (all devices access it perfectly through the wifi on my router if the extender is shut down).  [Signal strength is another matter, thus the need for an extender]

Firmware on the extender seems to be the latest.     Is the next best step to just reset the extender and start setup again from scratch?

Oh, the SSID for the "extended" network is the same as that on the router;  could that be an issue?

Thanks for anyone who can offer guidance!

Options
3 Reply
Re:AC1750 : spotty connectivity
2019-07-23 20:32:18

@SteveW63 

If an extender is still active and accessible but loses its link to the internet the likely cause is placement.  An extender should be placed in an area with a good, strong signal that is in between the router and the area where wifi is needed.  If placed in an area with spotty signal the connection itself will also be spotty.  Please try to relocate closer to the router and let us know the results. 

Options
Re:Re:AC1750 : spotty connectivity
2019-07-23 21:02:12

HI Carl -- Thank you, I will give that a try.    Other devices have been able to connect to the wifi from approximately the same spot in the house where the extender is, so I imagined that its placement was OK.   Can you recommend how strong of a signal the extender should have in order to work effectively?   What's the miminum dBm I should measure in a location for it to be suitable for the extender?

Thx!!

Carl wrote

@SteveW63 

If an extender is still active and accessible but loses its link to the internet the likely cause is placement.  An extender should be placed in an area with a good, strong signal that is in between the router and the area where wifi is needed.  If placed in an area with spotty signal the connection itself will also be spotty.  Please try to relocate closer to the router and let us know the results. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:AC1750 : spotty connectivity
2019-07-24 17:23:57

@SteveW63 

We typically recommend 3-bars or more, but it really depends on the enviroment the device is deployed in.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 966

Replies: 3

Related Articles