New Device Notification - functionality question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-02 13:30:05
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I had to turn off the new device notification.  My assumption was that it would notify me when a device joined my wireless network for the frist time.  This is useful (and a pretty typical setting) to make sure there are no rogue devices joining the network. 

Instead it notifies me each time a device joins, even if it has been on the network before, even if it has been assigned a profile.  Not sure how this is useful although I am sure that functionality matters to someone.  For me, it means that devices that go into sleep mode, like a Wii, ping me constantly each time they come back on.  

Is that the expected behavior of this setting?  

Options
2 Reply
Re:New Device Notification - functionality question
2019-08-02 22:56:50

@WirelessP 

The new device notification should only be for the initial connection. Any connection after that should not be giving a notification. It may be that the lease time is ending so when the device connects again, the DHCP server is giving a new IP address so it is a "new" connection.

Have you tried reserving an IP address for one of the devices to see if that helps?

Options
Re:Re:New Device Notification - functionality question
2019-08-05 13:01:02

I'l try that.  Seems like it would be a better functional implementation if the 'new device' was based on Mac Address as opposed to IP address. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1542

Replies: 2

Related Articles