Home expansion in regards to extenders or AP's

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-13 11:47:22 - last edited 2019-08-13 11:53:04

I have an Archer C9 that is plugged into the modem in a closet in the basement.  Attached to that is a switch because my entire house is hardwired for internet.  The house is a one story ranch.  My basement coverage is great as you can imagine however the upstairs leaves a lot to be desired.  The items I can hardwire upstairs (Apple TV, Fire Cube, etc) are working fine, its items like my laptop, cell phones and tablets that are slow.  I have read a little on Access Points and "think" that this is the way to go but uncertain.

What I would like is an item that I can plug my internet in to and boost the signal upstairs.  I have plenty of free ports to do this, but other threads on here talkk more about using range extenders.  To me a range extender would not be as efficient as something that is hardwired in.

Thoughts?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Home expansion in regards to extenders or AP's
2019-08-13 19:19:47

@sideoutjj 

Using a wired AP helps keep the speed you would expect. With range extenders they need to send data, and then receive it so they are not as fast compared to a wired AP unit.

We do have range extenders that can actually function like an AP, for example the RE305. You would set up the extender normally, then switch the mode to AP Mode, run an Ethernet cable from your network to it, and you have your AP.

Here is a FAQ that shows that: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1403/

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 762

Replies: 1