reconnecting wifi switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-14 14:15:59
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.5.5

Have an issue where I have 1-2 second power outages that cause my wifi to reboot.  My kasa switches won't reconnect until I turn off my circuit breaker for a minute or two after wifi reboot in order to work.  This isn't unbearable if I'm home but if I have my lights set up to work on a schedule while I'm away, I'm totally screwed.  Any work arounds or software updates that can solve this??   I'm about to do away with the switches because of this, It doesn't seem to be a problem with my kasa outlets.

Options
7 Reply
Re:reconnecting wifi switches
2019-08-15 17:53:28

@jvk-of-md 

Schedules that are configured for our smart devices are actually saved locally. So if you set a switch to turn on at 6 am, and destroy your router the switch will still follow that schedule.

Options
Re:Re:reconnecting wifi switches
2019-08-16 09:37:01

I appreciate an attempt to answer, however your reply has absolutely nothing to do with my question!

Options
2020-02-05 22:36:27

I have a similar issue. Every now and then my network connection will be lost when my service provider has some type of issue. When the service comes back online all my other devices reconnect automatically with exception of the HS200. That one displays a red wifi "fan" on the face of the switch and I can't reach it via the app anymore. My only recourse is to go outside and turn off the circuit breaker associated with the line powering the switch, waiting about 30 seconds, then turning the breaker back on. Only then will the HS200 reconnect with the network and start to function properly. Manually I can activate the switch just fine. Just not through the network with the app. How do I get it to reboot itself after the service outtage and reconnect?

Options
2020-02-27 15:28:04

@Merlin51 I have exactly the same problem. As for the "local" storage of programs, one of my switches did not turn off, so I'm not sure that's true. Anyway super annoying. Other smart devices that I use from TouchSmart and Insteon have never had a problem reconnecting. 

Options
2020-05-10 15:58:41

@Tony 

My HS200 switches will not automatically re-connect to my wifi if the router is taken off line by power and then back online. I have to manually press the reset button on each switch to get it to connect to the wifi router. This is Version 2, Firmware 1.5.7. This is unacceptable since my vacation home can no longer look occupied when they do not automatically reconnect to the wifi router. All my other devices do, so this is a problem with the HS200's.

Options
2020-05-10 20:02:50

@jvk-of-md I think the issue is the switch times out after so long a time while trying to initially reconnect to the network. I suspect it is because the router hasn't had enough time to reboot and reinitialize the network before the switch timeout. They probably should reprogram these switches to try to reconnect again after so many minutes to take into account this possibility.

Options
2020-05-11 14:41:12
I agree but how do you get these people to pay attention and do something about it. It doesn't seem to be a problem with their plugs. I ended up removing a switch and using a receptacle and a plug so I wouldn't have this problem when I'm away. Now I have a useless expensive switch laying around.
Options