No Channel Bonding on 5Ghz Deco M9 Plus

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-15 03:18:28
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 20190403 Rel. 43515

Hi All, and Hopefully TP-Link Engineers,

Went and did some testing to see why my Deco M9's performance has been so terrible, and I was not all that surprised to find that there's no channel bonding for 5Ghz, and that all the channels are overlapping. So, two questions:

1) When, if ever, will we get an advanced configuration menu that allows us to set our channels independently on each Deco, and when will channel bonding be fixed on 5Ghz spectrum, and 

2) Will you send me some WiFi 6 gear to test so that we can ensure this type of problem doesn't show up in future hardware? 

I'd be happy to drop this case with either outcome, but until then, I'll be encouraging potential buyers to go to other platforms until 5Ghz channel bonding and channel management are fixed via any avenue people seek advice. 

My previous thread detailing my troubleshooting steps and the devices used in the process:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/161864?page=1

AC data rates using channel bonding:

Home Deco Channel Graph

Options
3 Reply
Re:No Channel Bonding on 5Ghz Deco M9 Plus
2019-08-16 19:41:58

@matmatician 

The info we got from HQ is that Deco M9 supports band bonding as there are 20/40/80 GHz band for 5G. And Deco the will choose one of them depending on the congestion of the wireless environment. The more crowded the wireless environment is, the smaller bandwidth the Deco M9 will use.

We do have a beta program that you can sign up for which encompass a variety of products including the AX series. You can sign up to be a potential tester here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdbZUXnbcUr9KqU9JufznPb0_fsbrHGDvXUsR6ObJYhMpfBeg/viewform

Options
Re:No Channel Bonding on 5Ghz Deco M9 Plus
2019-08-17 19:37:26 - last edited 2019-08-17 20:53:05

What do you mean by channel bonding?

As in what in the image you posted makes you think that channel bonding is not working?

Options
Re:Re:Re:No Channel Bonding on 5Ghz Deco M9 Plus
2019-08-18 04:49:00 - last edited 2019-08-18 04:54:23

There is no way you are getting 260Mb from a 20MHz channel. Looking at the specs it seems the M9 has two spatial streams so the maximum air interface rate for a 20MHz channel would be 173Mb.

MCS charts give air interface rates which do not correspond to real world throughput. A good rule of thumb is to divide the air interface rate by two so to get 260Mb your air interface rate is likely over 500Mb.

I believe you are reading the graph incorrectly. The x-axis of the graph are channel numbers not frequencies. The program is clearly stating that the bandwidth is 80MHz which is comprised of four bonded 20MHz channels. The only peculiar thing I can see is that the program is not reporting one of the standard 80MHz channels. It seems to be saying that you are using 44 which is not the beginning or centre channel of a standard 80MHz bond. This could be a software reporting issue though. LinSSID doesn't seem to be the most up to date software around.

If you have access to an Android device I can recommend WiFi analyzer. It will display the channels used, the corresponding frequencies and the current air interface rate.

netspot is also useful for Windows and Mac machines.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2517

Replies: 3

Related Articles