Speed slower with a deco nearby than without it

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-15 17:42:50 - last edited 2019-08-15 17:48:56
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20190117 Rel. 60825

Just got Deco P7 (pack of 3) and I'm noticing a weird behaviour with the speed tests - and they're constant results throughout the day.

Here's what happens:

- When close by "main" deco - speed is great - over 260 mbps

- I have one more deco in hallway (first floor), and a third deco on second floor (almost directly above second deco in the hallway)

- I have my laptop on the second floor in the same room as third deco - when I run speed test it never goes over 60mbps ... but if I disable it (unplug / reboot), speed goes up to over 110mbps - and this is a constant result - every time I turn off deco that is sitting in the same room as my laptop - speed goes up, once it's back online - speed goes back to 50-60mbps

Is this a deffective deco, or is there something wrong with the setup?

Second floor deco enabled:

Second floor deco off:

Options
5 Reply
Re:Speed slower with a deco nearby than without it
2019-08-16 21:22:21

@aromka 

I am wondering if the 2nd Deco is hitting the 1st Deco, then going to your "main" Deco.

You mentioned the 2nd Deco is in the floor above. Have you tried moving that Deco closer to the "main" so you would have something like:

<deco>

<main>                           <deco>

You can also swap the Deco units to be the "main", the app will just note that you need to designate a new "main" and choose the correct one based off of the MAC address.

Options
Re:Re:Speed slower with a deco nearby than without it
2019-08-17 23:04:09

Ah interesting, so ideally they should all be hitting main deco?

right now it’s setup like

<deco>

<main>-<modem>            <deco>

Options
2019-08-19 17:52:15

@aromka 

I would probaly move the Deco above closer to the modem as signal on the same floor should be good. It's when you starting going below floors where the signal can degrade.

With the Deco P7 the 2.4GHz, and 5Ghz use either band or the PLC (powerline) for the backhaul. Which ever avenue is faster to talk between the units. So the fastest possible mean would then have to go through another node to eventually reach the main unit. 

If you relocate the Deco above, you might have a stronger powerline connection and or Wi-Fi backhaul connection and should see better performance.

Side note, look at the LED light on the power adapters. If the light is green it is at a good location (above 50 Mbps). If the light is red, the PLC speed is low (below 50 Mbps) due to interference, cable quality, and distance. 

Options
Re:Re:Speed slower with a deco nearby than without it
2019-08-19 18:00:35

I will give a try.

Quick question about power adapter lights - I'm getting green on addon decos, but getting red on main deco - is that normal? or should I try another plug for it?

Options
2019-08-20 18:10:13

@aromka 

That can cause slowness, so ya, try a different outlet plug for the Deco, you want them all to be green. Avoid using surge protectors or any sort of adapter. The Decos should go directly into the wall outlet.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1048

Replies: 5

Related Articles