Added New TP-Link Archer A7 Router - Certain Services No Longer Functioning

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-15 23:40:50 - last edited 2019-08-17 18:41:36
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.10 Build 20190517 rel.65170(5553)

So, this is an odd problem that really doesn't make sense to me. I'll also start by saying that, while not completely knowledgable with networking, I'm closer to novice than expert. 

So, I have satellite Internet service from ViaSat. Originally, I was using the modem's built in router function and several access points (our Routers set up to function as APs) to blanket my house, yard and office with WiFi signal. Apparently, the modem I received is not supposed to function as a modem/router with my specific ViaSat service (doesn't make sense to me), so they turned off the router functionality and I installed an old router that I had laying around the house. With both of these setups, while often slow, the Internet worked well and I didn't have issues with any services.

However, the old router I was using was a bit too old and wasn't handling the load I was placing on it very well. So, I decided to upgrade the router. I already had an Archer A7 (that I was using as an access point) that I loved. So, I picked up another one and swapped out the old router for a new Archer A7 v5.0. I set up the router, and as the basic settings were the same as my older router, I didn't have to do much of any retooling and the connection (or so I thought) seemed to be working fine.

However, then I started noticing oddities with certain sites and apps not functioning correctly. So, after a lot of troubleshooting, I decided to tear the whole network down to bare bones and try again. I reset everythign and set it up from scratch. Unfortunately the same issues persisted. As things were fine with two different setups prior to the new router, I can only surmise that there's something with the new router that I missed or setup wrong... but none of this makes enough sense to me to figure out. I've detailed the issues I've been seeing below in hopes someone can provide some insight or troubleshooting tips.

• Instagram App - App works fine on LTE but generally doesn't work on WiFi... occasionally has short spurts (at most a minute or two) where things will load, but otherwise no. The instagram website loads and works fine on both my phone and laptop on the same WiFi. Facebook app generally works flawlessly in this situtation. **UPDATE ** - This is also an issue using the Instagram app on my iPad.
  • Hulu - Originally worked fine if not without the occasional freeze and buffer. However, while it will load the Hulu interface and pull up shows, I can't get any show to load at all on either of my PS3s or on my mobile app on WiFi (or plugged directly in to an access point). I get error code P-TS207 when trying to play a title. So far I've been able to get it to play in a browser window on my laptop (same wifi) without issues. I haven't tried it yet on my FireTV or SmartTVs though. Other streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime function just fine on all devices on the network.
  • Google - I've been seeing issues with Google loading for the past couple days. If I try to do a search or access Gmail, it tries to load until it times out. This happens both on my mobile device and laptop as well as in both Chrome and Firefox. Other sites, such as Bing, work just fine when Google is having issues. Though, I'm seeing a marked inprovement in access today, so this issue may simply be a coincidence.  Google issues seem to be resolved. Assuming it was a coincidence.
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Re:Added New TP-Link Archer A7 Router - Certain Services No Longer Functioning-Solution
2019-08-17 18:41:21 - last edited 2019-08-17 18:41:36

Hey @Tony! I wanted to provide a quick update on things.

I found someone online having a similar issue and someone suggested they change out the DNS servers. While it didn't work for them, I thought I'd give it a try. Lo and behold, after swapping out my ISP's DNS servers for Google's DNS, everything is working flawlessly.

The prior NETGEAR router was using my ISP's DNS servers and things were working. So, I'm not sure what happened. But, all I can surmise is that the A7 doesn't want to play nice with Viasat Business' DNS servers.

Either way, the solution to my issue was to swap out my ISP's DNS servers to Google's (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4).

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Added New TP-Link Archer A7 Router - Certain Services No Longer Functioning
2019-08-16 22:45:43

@samuelayres 

Have you ripped out the A7, keeping the other network elements and putting a non-A7 router to see if the issues follow the router?

Options
Re:Re:Added New TP-Link Archer A7 Router - Certain Services No Longer Functioning
2019-08-17 05:26:19

@Tony 

Initially, when I set up the network, I had an old NETGEAR (I think) router in place. The network ran fine, just a little slow. When I updgraded to the TP-Link router, the only thing I swapped out was the router... I didn't change any network settings, I just matched the new router to the old router's settings. That's when all the bugs started popping up. The only new variable that I'm aware of was the new TP-Link router. That's when I tore everything down and rebuilt it only to have the same issues.

So, in a way yes, I've ripped out the A7 at the beginning. But since then, due to my work schedule, I haven't tried re-replacing the router with the old one again to see if the issues go away.

Options
Re:Re:Added New TP-Link Archer A7 Router - Certain Services No Longer Functioning-Solution
2019-08-17 18:41:21 - last edited 2019-08-17 18:41:36

Hey @Tony! I wanted to provide a quick update on things.

I found someone online having a similar issue and someone suggested they change out the DNS servers. While it didn't work for them, I thought I'd give it a try. Lo and behold, after swapping out my ISP's DNS servers for Google's DNS, everything is working flawlessly.

The prior NETGEAR router was using my ISP's DNS servers and things were working. So, I'm not sure what happened. But, all I can surmise is that the A7 doesn't want to play nice with Viasat Business' DNS servers.

Either way, the solution to my issue was to swap out my ISP's DNS servers to Google's (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4).

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Added New TP-Link Archer A7 Router - Certain Services No Longer Functioning
2019-08-19 17:39:58

@samuelayres 

Very good find.

DNS....makes perfect sense.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1083

Replies: 4