Can I use a standard dimmer switch in a 3 Way circuit if I don't really need the other switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can I use a standard dimmer switch in a 3 Way circuit if I don't really need the other switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-18 15:01:35
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi:
 I am tryign to seutp my house wiht TP swiches. I have a few locations that are current 3 way switches but also need dimmable lights. I know that there are no plans for 3 way dimmable switch yet.

My question is can I use 1 Dimmable Switch for the main switch and then either a signgle switch for the other? 

If not, is there anyway to "change" the cirucit so it's not 3 Way anymore and just use the 1 dimmable switch?

Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Can I use a standard dimmer switch in a 3 Way circuit if I don't really need the other switch
2019-08-19 15:47:15 - last edited 2019-08-19 15:48:51

@whatever16 

Replace the 3way switch that is connected to the power source with the HS220.

Turn off power.

Connect white to white

Connect green to green(or bare copper)

Connect power source(line) to line

Connect both travelers to load

With this wiring it does not matter what position the other 3way switch is in.

Options
Re:Can I use a standard dimmer switch in a 3 Way circuit if I don't really need the other switch
2020-12-11 20:59:25

@B.Will 

I do have TP LINK DIMMER.

My wiring configuration is: 3 WAY switches (toggle) 2 switches which controls  4 CAN lights. My question is: I need 3 way smart switch with dimmer  capability.

1. Do I need to replace 2 toggle switches with 2 TP link Dimmer switch?
  2. If I need to replace only 1 of them, how can I find out which switch to replace?
  3. In case of replacing only 1, if I use smart switch with TOGGLE switch, what happens when someone put toggle switch in off position? Do I need to replace TOGGLE switch with Add On Switch to connect TRAVELLERS from both switch?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2379

Replies: 2