PC will not recognize ethernet cable from new C9 router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-03 14:20:06 - last edited 2019-09-03 14:22:01
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My current router is an Archer C8 with a wired ethernet connection to my PC.  The modem is a Xfinity Gateway (coaxial cable).  I purchased a new C9 and followed the set up instructions.  Everything works great, including the Wifi and the other wired connections (directv and an internet phone), but my PC will not recognize the ethernet cable and there is no internet.  I moved the cables around, so I know it's not a bad port.  Also, when I switch back to the old router, everything works fine -- so I know it is not a bad cable.   I've turned everything off and on several times.  I've read about needing to install new drivers or the new router needing a new ISP address or not performing a "handshake"?  I have limited computer skills.  This seems like a problem that is likely to reoccur for others and one should be able to fix it without having to hire an IT professional.  Thanks.    

Options
4 Reply
Re:PC will not recognize ethernet cable from new C9 router
2019-09-03 23:20:49

@SLC1 

I would probably check the network settings for your computer. It sounds like you have the network adapter statically assigned an IP address that is now different for the C9 so it is not recognized.

Go into your network adapter property and make sure it is set to automatically receive an IP.

If you are not sure how, what is the operating system of your computer?

Options
Re:Re:PC will not recognize ethernet cable from new C9 router
2019-09-04 01:48:49

Windows 10. Under network settings “IP Settings“  IP assignment:” is set to “automatic (DHCP)”.  

Options
Re:PC will not recognize ethernet cable from new C9 router
2019-09-04 20:05:07

@SLC1 

When you are connected to the C9, what IP address does the computer shows it has?

If it is a 192.168.x.x address are you able to ping anything?

Options
Re:Re:PC will not recognize ethernet cable from new C9 router
2019-09-05 01:29:22

That’s the IP address when the old router is plugged in. Nothing shows up but fec0.0101:0:0:ffff:1%1 when the c9 is plugged in. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2265

Replies: 4