No TP wifi address produced by switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-06 14:23:05
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I bought a 3-pack of smart dimmers. Installed two with zero problems;

The third one was installed about 8 feet away from the other. It's on the same circuit, but it is NOT a three-way switch. 

The third switch powered on and controlled the ligths via the hard switch (absolutely has the white wires attached). I got the red and green blinking wifi symbol, however, the switch did not produce a wi-fi address on any of the devices I tried to connect it with.  After multiple devices and resets of the switch (wifi and total re-sets), I contacted customer support, who determined the switch must be bad.

I got an RMA and returned the switch and they sent me a new one

I installed the new switch and had the exact same issue. I do not believe it is a switch issue. In part of my trying to figure this out, I reset the working KASA dimmer switch near the one that did not work, only to now find that in trying to re-establish the connection, that the working one also now did not produce a wifi name on any device. 

I removed the third switch and then the other one started producing and address again and was able to be reconnected.  T

Any thoughts on what exactly is going on here? 

Options
5 Reply
Re:No TP wifi address produced by switch
2019-09-06 17:09:12

Where you able to install all 3 switches?

Options
Re:Re:No TP wifi address produced by switch
2019-09-06 17:19:44

I was able to install 2 of the switches. I had to take the third one out and replace it with a standard dimmer to get the other nearby Kasa dimmer to work. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:No TP wifi address produced by switch
2019-09-06 19:02:12 - last edited 2019-09-06 22:35:40

Make note of the MAC address of the two working switches, then install the third switch and see if it's MAC is the same as one of the two.

Do not post MAC address's here.

The 6 digits on the right need to be different per switch.

The 6 digits on the left can be the same, they show who is the manufacturer.

The MAC on the front of the switch should match the one in settings.

Options
2019-09-10 18:11:41

@PBANDJ 

Another thing to try/look at is to install the dimmer in a completely different outlet that you know is not apart of a three way just to see if the replacement is at least capable of working, so the outlet can be focused on as the culprit. 

Options
2019-09-10 19:38:57

@Tony The dimmer does work in a different location, it produces a wifi address and can be connected - for some strange reason it just won't do it in the location where I need it. All the wiring in the different boxes are exactly the same. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 749

Replies: 5