Can't complete Deco M5 setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-07 23:08:42
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I had my 3 Deco M5's running just fine with my internet provider's Arris DG3270 which is a modem/router.  They also had a separate WIFI network running, but it was very weak.  That's why I installed the Deco's.

Today I called and had them shut off their WIFI and I haven't been able to set up the Deco's since.  I have internet from the 4 ports on the back (using it to write this).  I follow the steps in the TP-LINK DECO setup and everything works fine until I get to the page that says "Connect to your WIFI Network" using the phone.  Before I even have a chance to hit the NEXT button, the light turns from solid blue to red.  No internet!

I have litterally done the steps probably 30 times or more over the last 10 hours.  Reloaded the Deco app.  Used the port for the Deco to make sure there was internet on it.

HELP PLEASE

TOM

Options
5 Reply
Re:Can't complete Deco M5 setup
2019-09-10 19:29:38

@subman631 

If your Arris is now a modem, then it will only supply internet to one connected device. So it sounds like your computer or the one you used to access the internet is what is taking up the connection.

Disconnect your computer, so you only have the Deco connected, then reboot only the Arris, leave the Deco on. Once the Arris is fully booted up, redo the setup on the Deco as it should have internet now.

Options
2019-09-11 04:54:13

Thanks Tony,

The Arris has an internal switch feeding 4 ports so internet is available to all 4.  I did try your suggestion but to no avail.  I even tried an external switch since I had found on the internet that the Arris gateways have horrilbe software that can make the internal switch a mess.  Still no progress.

Today, the technician came out and reestablished the internal router and the Deco connected no problem!  There is something internally screwed up in the firmware of this gateway but who knows what it is?  All I know is that if anyone has this gateway, don't try to bridge across the router because the Deco won't work.  We have the internal router on but hidden and not putting out any signal.

Thanks again!  Problem solved after 4 days without WIFI.  Heaven help us when the EMP's come!

Tom

@Tony 

Options
2019-09-11 14:38:36 - last edited 2019-09-11 14:38:45

@subman631 

Thanks for the update. 

The setup you have should work fine, as I had it that way with a Verizon Fios router (disabled Wi-Fi).

Options
2019-09-11 16:49:49

Yep, it "should have" but Arris is notorious for lousy design.  Clearly, my problem is buried somewhere in their engineers' logic.  :)  My internet supplier gives a list of alternate gateways and modems I can buy and have them install.  EVERY ONE is obsolete and can only be bought used!  That's how 'on the ball' they are.  :(

Tom 

Options
2019-09-12 09:30:32

@subman631 

I'm facing this issue too, it is because Deco sets up in router mode by default which you can change later by going to advanced settings and then towards the bottom to change operation mode. However, in my case, switching to AP mode did not help because the Deco DHCP server didn't get disabled, it was conflicting with the existing DHCP server on my router. I haven't yet figured out how to fix this.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1598

Replies: 5

Related Articles