Deco M9 Parental Controls

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-12 03:29:00
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 20190403 Rel. 43515

I've been trying to get Parental Controls to work. I have the Time Controls turned on from 9pm to 5am on school nights. My kids are able to use their devices after 9. I've made new profiles to test it, same story. It doesn't work.  I can obviously pause the internet for a profile, but would rather the router work as advertised. 

Anything I need to try to get these controls to work? 

Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Parental Controls
2019-09-12 18:22:00 - last edited 2019-09-12 18:24:06

@CP71 

Wait about 10 minutes after the 9 pm designated time. Go to your overview, and provide a screenshot of what you see with respect to your devices. Point out which devices should not have access.

If you go into "insights", are you still seeing different websites showing up?

Additionally, what settings do you have configured in the parental controls?

Options
2019-09-13 02:40:09

Tony wrote

@CP71 

Wait about 10 minutes after the 9 pm designated time. Go to your overview, and provide a screenshot of what you see with respect to your devices. Point out which devices should not have access.

If you go into "insights", are you still seeing different websites showing up?

Additionally, what settings do you have configured in the parental controls?

@Tony 

I checked my settings again, and rebooted the router after 9 when I found the devices that are supposed to be blocked, still worked. 

After that, I checked the devices and they all still were able to connect to the internet. 

I only have the "Bedtime" function set up in parental controls. 

Here are my device screen shots:

Image1

Image2

Image3

Image4

Options
2019-09-13 20:15:29

@CP71 

Thank you for the information.

We are going to look into this to see what we can find. 

Options
2019-09-16 17:08:30

@CP71 

I noticed how the information was taken on thursday after 5 am, when the parental controls did not take effect.

Please check again, as the internet should be restricted from Saturday 9 pm to Thursday 5 am.

You could also modify the time to cover most of the day just to test to see if it is capable of at least working.

Options
2019-09-16 17:37:51

@Tony 

I'm confused about the "previous day" it says on the Bed Time page for 9:00 PM (Previous Day). Does that mean if I have the School Nights set from Monday to Friday, that on 9:00 PM on Sunday evening, the internet is turned off until 5:00 AM on Monday morning?  I hate to sound dumb, but I think that just rang a bell for me. :)

I'm going to turn it on from Monday to Friday from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM and see if it works this evening and tomorrow morning.  I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again

Options
2019-09-16 19:36:15

@CP71 

You are perfectly fine for asking. This will be helpful to other users as well.

So what you were saying is correct. If you set Monday as the start date, then the start time would be Sunday 9 pm all the way until 5 am Monday.

Options
2019-09-24 18:00:52

@Tony Quick update. It's working perfectly now. The issue I was having seemed to be time zone related. I had 9pm to 5am. Apparently, the router (or something) seems to believe our time is mountain time rather than central. I changed the times from 8pm to 4:00am and now everyone's device is locked down at 9pm like it should be.

Since I set the M9 up last month, would the time setting be part of the router set up? I can't recall.

Thank you-

Options
2019-09-24 23:26:25

@CP71 

No, it actually does not: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1592/

Thanks for the update regarding the time zone, I assumed it will sync correctly which didn't in this case.

Options