WIFI connected devices not showing up as WIFI clients

WIFI connected devices not showing up as WIFI clients

133 Reply
Re:WIFI connected devices not showing up as WIFI clients
2020-06-09 16:22:56

@alien-link I can see connected devices in the web interface so clearly the AP knows what's connected.

Options
2020-06-09 16:28:06

@Noiseboy They are different bugs actually:

- Sometimes the app doesn't retrieve the list, but in the web it's fine. That's just a bug in the app or communication protocol.

- When DHCP Server is Off, either in AP or Router mode, list will be empty in both web and app. However, router mode has a wireless station section in the web that displays current connected clients, I wonder why they don't use that list to populate the other one.

Options
2020-06-09 17:10:23 - last edited 2020-06-14 08:08:48

@mocelet 

mocelet wrote

@Carl The AP not showing clients connected to the AP is a bug. The AP is the one that authenticates them and allows them or not in the network. IP does not matter, DHCP does not matter.

There is no need to analyze traffic or know the IP to list devices connected to the AP. The AP knows perfectly who is connected and how many devices are authenticated.

So, when the AP does not count a device it has just authenticated, it is a bug.

All other router and AP brands I have worked with don't work like our TP-Link devices do. By adopting such peculiar design, apparently it seems that TP-Link expects that all the world's wireless NIC adapters be compatible to TP-Link routers/APs and to the exclusive way how they work - and not the other way round...

My router allows to be found by our wireless devices, it authenticates them, gives them internal network and Internet access, but can't manage to list them?... It makes no sense. In fact, sometimes some specific devices show up in the list of connected wireless devices, sometimes they don't - this random behavior alone already clearly suggests that there must be a bug envolved.

Again, this is a TP-Link-specific behavior. If I replace my TP-Link router by any of my other brand wireless routers while still keeping all other variables (same client devices, same cables, same network setup like IPs, gateway, DHCP, etc.), ALL of my other routers show ALL of the wireless devices connected to them at anytime.

Options
2020-06-09 17:19:52

@mocelet that was my thought.

Options
2020-06-09 19:17:38

@mocelet 

Yes, that is nature of the bug and bad design.  The tp-link device (regardless of router or ap mode) has the list of wireless connected clients internally.  Unfortunately, someone incorrectly wanted the list of devices to look pretty?, so they decided to only show DCHP clients as the list of clients because this has hostname info and ip address.  Oddly, they augment this information with wifi info like which radio 2G, 5G band etc. from the wifi authenticated list which DCHP doesn't even have.  So, they are merging the lists without thought and in a way I have never seen from any wifi router or AP I have ever seen in 20 years. 

All other AP and wifi routers always show all wifi clients connected regardless of whether they have additional information like ip address, hostname, etc.  The AP mode is also the only source of information of which radio band the client has connected and authenticated.  So the suggestion to check the main router for information on which wifi clients are on the tp-link AP is also way off mark.  Only the AP has the information on it's wifi clients that it authenticated and bridged onto the network, the main router can't see this anymore -- only the AP has this information and for security purposes must show it.

-Craig

Options
2020-06-11 18:40:50
I am having the same issue with the Archer A20 v3 with current firmware. It is in Access Point mode. It is the only WiFi active in the building (router has no WiFi). Though there are three devices actively using the WiFi which must be through the Archer A20, the Wireless Devices count is 1 and the list only shows a Google Pixel. There is an iPad Mini and a Toshiba laptop which do not show up. I do not think any of the discussion of DHCP, IP, and UDP is relevant. The Access Point should list all devices which have authenticated and are currently connected to the Access Point. DHCP and other protocols only happen once a WiFi client has authenticated and are likely not be handled by a device running in Access Point mode anyway -- you run a device in Access Point mode when you already have a router that is handling routing and DHCP. I don't care about which wired devices are connected, and I don't know why they are even listed. The Wireless Device list should not be generated the same way that the Wired Device list is generated. It should be generated based on which devices have signed on to the Access Point using the proper SSID and password, nothing more or less.
Options
2020-06-14 07:22:08

Hi, I have the same Problem. I cant see any WLAN-Device. I change the language to english and rebooted the C7 Device. C7 works as an Acces Point in my network. 

Please Fix this bug!. Is the bug also on the open-wrt FW?

I can se the the device on my ISP-Router as an cable connectet Device. 

Archer C7 V4 with the FW 1.0.8

Options
2020-07-03 12:33:45
What is the update on getting a fix for this problem?
Options
2020-07-03 16:25:37

@alien-link 

I have the same issue AC1200  Archer A6 v2.0  Firmware 1.1.5 Build 20191112 rel.36515(5553)

When will they have a fix as well it would be nice if they could come up with SNMP and Send logs instaead of having to mail them to myself ...  or manually download them.

Options
2020-07-22 20:31:59

@alien-link 

Just to note that

- HW ver: Archer MR600 v1 00000001

- FW ver: 1.2.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 200511 Rel.44954n

Has the same problem.

Options