C4000 Share Question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

C4000 Share Question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
26 Reply
Re:C4000 Share Question
2019-10-02 11:15:50

@Den24601 

Seem we are both on the 2007 Office. Could be the key here. I didn't have any office files on the USB drive before ever, so I can't say if that is the problem?

I do know with the Credential created it did READ instantly.

Den24601 wrote

I wonder if more recent versions of MS Office (I'm using 2007) have the problem? 

I just fired up my wife's PC. She doesn't do much documents and is using Libre Office (https://www.libreoffice.org/). I opened the file test.docx instantly, edited it, and saved it instantly. She has not got Credentials for this new router at all.

So, I think that answers the question. It IS Office 2007 (no surprise but it does still get updates).

These links might give you some choices:

Free trial of Office365 to verify if it works, https://products.office.com/en-us/try

Office Alternatives, https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-microsoft-office-alternatives/

I did get Free Office (https://www.freeoffice.com/en/download/applications) and gave it a try. It worked but I was get an Office Pop-up and it closed slowly, but the file was written fast? Might need to remove Office 2007? The version is from 9/19/2019 although it has a 2018 date on it?

I might remove Office 2007 possibly, or put on Libre Office?

Options
2019-10-02 12:12:55

@Den24601 

I tried Libre, but I much prefer MS Office.  I agree MS Office 2007 is part of the problem, perhaps a security issue within Office. I did make \\TP-Share a 'Trust Location' using Office's TRUST security tab, but it did not help.  I also checked-off the "Allow locations on my Network," but no-joy.   "Network Location" based on FTP rather than Network Neighborhood mostly works. Occasionally when saving an Excel file I see a "Cannot Save; This is a read-only file," but on the next attempt it does quickly save, so I'm sticking with this.

But it does beg the question: what is different about the C4000/A20's share vs the Archer C5 share (which works perfectly)?  I suppose only TP-Link's engineers know the answer to that, and they aren't getting involved. Not many people use TP-Share for MS 2007 files, so I can't blame TP-Link for not getting involved.   However, I  also want to implement different password protections on different folders as you suggested. That would be great, and hopefully, TP-Link will respond to your suggestions.

Dennis

Options
2019-10-02 13:58:08

Den24601 wrote

@Den24601 

However, I  also want to implement different password protections on different folders as you suggested. That would be great, and hopefully, TP-Link will respond to your suggestions.

Dennis

@Den24601 

I already reported that in another thread and the moderator passed it on to R & D as he thought it was a good idea. See thread https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/170790.

I also want individual shares for the drives, as it stands now, only one share can be produced. I adds together what you 'check' on each USB drive as a single share.

Every other router from a vendor and the 3rd party f/w I've used allows this. Don't know if it is specific to some TP-Link routers that this is done or all of them though?

Options
2019-10-02 15:36:41

@Den24601 

I read your other thread about password protection, and 100% agree. I also noted TP-Link's agreement to consider your suggestions.  That would ultimately result in new firmware. 

However, considering the A20/C4000 are not new products yet still using the initial firmware, I'd be surprised if they help us out.   It appears \TP-Share's usefulness is not a high priority.

Regards,

Dennis

Options
2019-10-02 16:04:25

Den24601 wrote

@Den24601 

I read your other thread about password protection, and 100% agree. I also noted TP-Link's agreement to consider your suggestions.  That would ultimately result in new firmware. 

However, considering the A20/C4000 are not new products yet still using the initial firmware, I'd be surprised if they help us out.   It appears \TP-Share's usefulness is not a high priority.

Regards,

Dennis

@Den24601 

The A20 is fairly new, came out in Mar, this year I think? Has also been out of stock (as had been the C4000 as well) often.

I've got other A20 'annoyances', but the basic function works and that is what counts. I've only got a dozen or so devices connected at one time, mixed types.

The Annoyances are:

• GUI to log into the router does NOT work well with RoboForm.
  • Can not turn off QoS, but I have no proof it is hindering my 100Mbps Internet service.
  • Traffic Monitor features and problems:
    • Off a day on the graph, on Mon. it puts up data that is Tue. on the graph X axis
    • Can not RESET the data automatically (yes, that can removed some days data).
    • Real-Time Rate doesn't seem to be. Never changes unless I press REFRESH.
  • Time Setting doesn't always work with the default TIME.NIST.GOV. Have to use TIME.WINDOWS.COM which always works.
  • Logging, USELESS for an END USER. Can't log IP Address assignments or anything of interest to and end-use. Only logs internal router state changes it seems?
  • Trend Micro protection. No NOTICE of any action taken. Need to go look at the HISTORY in the Router GUI. I had some website blocked it seems but it was a real web site for Fuel Rewards by Shell Gas I go to. No warning it happened. I can still go there, but I would have liked to know about it when it happened?

I've had the router for less than a month, I've not played with IPv6 or VPN yet, and most other functions other than 'vanilla' use of the router. Do like it, and so far, support has been good, although the GUI problem is the most annoying and I was told to contact RoboForm. It isn't them as RoboForm works everywhere else... I've pushed back on support, excuse was they were unfamilair with RoboForm, but I pointed them the the free version and tested on 3 browsers and it fails on all of them.

Options
2019-10-08 21:18:12

Den24601 wrote

@Den24601 

This from TP-Link Support:

Dear Dennis,
Thank you very much for your valued reply.

I've consulted our senior engineer who said for the time being our router doesn't support online editing. Therefore the only solution now maybe editing it on your computer first and then move back to the \\TP-Link Share.
Therefore, Archer A20 might have the same issue.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.
Have a nice day.

@Den24601  @IrvSp 

I was just informed by HQ that they have been working on new firmware that will address issues of modifying/saving files with USB Drives in the near future. Apparently the R&D team has been pushing this and hope to get this out soon in the near future.

Options
2019-10-08 22:18:59

@Tony 

Great news! I hope the firmware is available soon. Thank you for following up on this.

Dennis

Options
2019-10-09 13:07:44

@Tony 

Today, I got this from TP-Link Support:

Dear Dennis,
Thank you very much for your valued reply.

So I've consulted our senior engineer again. It turns out I've gotten his message wrong. Archer C5 supports online editting but Archer C4000 and Archer A20 do not.
Sorry for any inconvenience might've been caused.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.
Have a nice day.

> Tell you 'senior engineer' that your C5 router does support 'online editing' and the C4000 router also supports online editing when using FTP instead of Network Neighborhood.

Your feedback is very important to us, please feel free to contact me for further help.
Best Regards
----------------------------------------------
Alex Zhu
TP-LINK Technical Support

So, the saga continues....

Options
2019-10-09 15:28:19

@Den24601 

I'm following up to get a clarification on what is going on.

Options
2019-10-11 15:11:11

@Den24601 

There will still be a updates, the agent did not mention it giving the impression nothing would be done.

Options