Unable to connect additional powerline adapter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-02 00:21:47
Model: TL-PA7020 KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.2.4_702002_160902_901

Hello -

I have a TL-PA7020-KIT and I am attempting to add a single TL-PA7020 which I puchased off EBay.  Same model, same HW version of my Kit.  I am not able to verify Firmware version.  I downloaded the TP-Link Utility and see my existing Kit network.  When I add device and enter the Powerline Key (listed as Password on the unit), I continually recieve an error message "Unable to add device".  Can you please help as I don't understand why its not adding the device to my Powerline network.  Thanks!

Options
8 Reply
Re:Unable to connect additional powerline adapter
2019-10-02 18:16:27

@MBP 

You would need to make sure the unit is plugged in and powering up.  That should be a given but we have had it happen in the past so we want to make sure.  Next it has to be connected in an outlet that is on the same electircal panel.  Different circuits in the panel are fine but it has to be the same panel.  PLC does not work accross panels.  If that all checks out.  Plug it in and hold the Pair button for 30 seconds, then try the process you are using to add the device.  If that still fails that unit may be defective.  

Since it was bought on eBay you would need to have bought it from our official store or NewEgg to get a warranty replacement.  

Best Regards 

Options
2019-10-03 02:23:14

@Carl 

Thank you for your response.  Made sure the unit powered up, even connected an ethernet cable to the unit and it registered as the ethernet symbol lit up.  Definitely on the same electrical panel as this is a single dwelling house.  Different rooms, but same panel.

I took your advice of holding the Pair button for 30 seconds and still unable to connect the device to my network using the utility.  If there is nothing else you suggest, I fear this unit is defective.  The only reason I bought this unit from EBay (besides price) was that it was being sold as a single unit and that is all I need.  Am I able to purchase a single TL-PA7020 unit from TP-Link or NewEgg?

Thanks!

Options
2019-10-03 15:18:13

@Carl 

Also, I confirmed with the seller that the unit was working before he sold it.  Being that the unit was used in his own Powerline network, is there a conflict with joining that unit to my network?  Does holding down the Pair button for 30 seconds erase the previous network connection?

Options
2019-10-03 16:56:51

@MBP 

Pressing and holding the pair button for 15 seconds would default the adapter back to factory settings. It always best to hold the button longer to ensure the rest went through.

Unfortuatnely, the powerline adatpers are not sold individually, and only in kits.

You could continue to try other outlets, but to pair you press the pair button for 1 second, then press the pair button on another powerline device (https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1081/).

Options
2019-10-03 20:48:16

@Tony 

Thank you for your response Tony.  I will try other outlets throughout the house (so far I have tried 3).  And will try combination of using Pair button and the Powerline Utility.  Hopefully something will work and allow me to add the unit to my network.

Options
2019-10-04 22:14:39

@MBP 

There have been some users who have actually placed the adatper upside down so the Ethernet port is facing upwards. At this point, might be worth testing at least in the same room rather then running around your household.

Options
2021-06-15 08:13:36

@Tony Old thread I know but I have the same problem of not being able to add an adapter that definitely works. I have a pair of TL-PA7010P adapters. They pair and work fine. I unplug one and then press the "Pair" button for 30 seconds to reset on the one still plugged in. I then try to add it it to my existing network of two older adapters using the TP-Link Utility. I get the message "Device adding failed". Tried with the other of the pair, same thing. Repaired them, they're still working fine. Why is the utility not recognising them?

Options
2021-06-17 12:36:17 - last edited 2021-06-17 12:54:43

@MBP 

@Carl 

@Tony 

tp-link

• Existing network: Model TL-PA8030P (US) ver. 1.0 S/N 2159864A0038 + other TL-PA8030P unit
  • Trying to add a single unit: Model TL-PA9020P (US) ver. 4.0 S/N 219B415A00025 or S/N 219B415B00025

All purchased new

Hello:

I have an existing TL-PA8030P network (see S/N above) that has worked flawlessly for a number of years.

It typically tests at ~ 30 Mbps, which is the same rate I measure with a direct connection to the router.

I have not been able to add a TL-PA9020P (see S/N above) to the existing TL-PA8030P network.

• I have tried using the pair buttons with the TL-PA9020P plugged directly into ~ four different power outlets (no power strips or extension cords). This includes the outlet I use to pair the two TL-PA8030Ps, which always works. Upon pushing pair buttons of the TL-PA9020P and the TL-PA8030P, the power LEDS flash for ~ 2 minutes then power LEDS return to steady on. I have tried this repeatedly, with two different TL-PA9020Ps, multiple power outlets, before and after resetting the TL-PA9020Ps to the factor setting. No pairing.

• I have tried using the tpPLC utility. When the laptop is connected to the TL-PA8030P master, the utility recognizes the existing TL-PA8030P network (Device D964 PLC 1200 Mbps and Device D957 PLC 1200 Mbps). When “add device” is selected, I enter the Powerline Key. tpPLC utility gives the error message of “no device found”. I have tried two different TL-PA9020Ps, before and after resetting the TL-PA9020Ps to the factor setting. No pairing.

• When the laptop is connected to the TL-PA9020P, the utility recognizes the TL-PA9020P (Device ABC1 PLC 2000 Mbps). When “add device” is selected, I enter the Powerline Key. tpPLC utility gives the error message of “no device found”. I have tried two different TL-PA9020Ps, before and after resetting the TL-PA9020Ps to the factor setting. No pairing.

I don’t know what else to try.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6957

Replies: 8

Related Articles