Archer A7 - Great wired speed, extremely slow wifi speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer A7 - Great wired speed, extremely slow wifi speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
23 Reply
Re:Archer A7 - Great wired speed, extremely slow wifi speeds
2020-09-26 10:01:35

@Frito I am encountering this issue with an A6. My ISP plan is 200Mbps Down / 10Mbps Up. I am getting about 235Mbps with a hard wired connection. Wireless... i am getting about 10Mbps on 2.4Ghz and maybe 26Mbps on 5Ghz. It's ridiculous. 

My old TP-Link router was only a 10/100 model but it still had much faster wireless than this.

Options
2020-09-26 15:21:01

heyitsjulian wrote 

My old TP-Link router was only a 10/100 model but it still had much faster wireless than this.

@heyitsjulian 

Are you using the SAME SSID as on the old router? Try 'forgetting' the connection on the devices and create new ones, should fix it. Also changing the SSID or PW should do the same thing as deleting the connection, it forces a new connection set of data.

Other reasons could be different Security Settings and/channel being used.

Options
2020-09-26 17:00:44 - last edited 2020-09-26 17:02:13

@IrvSp I was... I just changed the SSID on both the 2.4 and 5Ghz networks and still, next to my router, I'm getting ~20-30Mbps down. 

i don't know what security settings to change - I've tried NAT Boost on and off, WMM on and off, channel width 20Mhz / channel 11 for 2.4, channel width 80Mhz for 5, resetting the router... still getting 200+Mbps wired and not sure why the wireless performance is so slow. The firmware is also up to date. 😐

IrvSp wrote

heyitsjulian wrote 

@heyitsjulian 

Are you using the SAME SSID as on the old router? Try 'forgetting' the connection on the devices and create new ones, should fix it. Also changing the SSID or PW should do the same thing as deleting the connection, it forces a new connection set of data.

Other reasons could be different Security Settings and/channel being used.

Options
2020-09-26 21:37:37

@heyitsjulian 

I'm looking at this for you firmware emulator, https://emulator.tp-link.com/archer-a7-v5/index.html, but there are 2 different V5 versions, one US and the EU it seems, so I don't know if the screens are correct?

The Securiy I'm talking about is on the ADVANCED, WIRELESS, WIRELESS SETTINGS page. WPA/WPA2-Personal is probably the one you'd want, but I'd also test with NO SECURITY and see if that helps the speed.

Do you have QoS enabled? Try without it if you do, that can cause problems, especially if the speeds are not correct for your service.

Options
2020-10-07 20:39:46

That looks like mine. I am using WPA/WPA2-Personal and want to keep a password on the wifi.

QoS was disabled. I've tried switching it on and off to no avail.

IrvSp wrote

@heyitsjulian 

I'm looking at this for you firmware emulator, https://emulator.tp-link.com/archer-a7-v5/index.html, but there are 2 different V5 versions, one US and the EU it seems, so I don't know if the screens are correct?

The Securiy I'm talking about is on the ADVANCED, WIRELESS, WIRELESS SETTINGS page. WPA/WPA2-Personal is probably the one you'd want, but I'd also test with NO SECURITY and see if that helps the speed.

Do you have QoS enabled? Try without it if you do, that can cause problems, especially if the speeds are not correct for your service.

@IrvSp 

Options
2020-10-08 00:27:20

@heyitsjulian 

I was suggestions TESTING with NO Security. See if you had none the speed got better. Once you are done testing, put the old security back.

Options
2020-10-08 16:16:50 - last edited 2020-10-08 16:17:11

IrvSp wrote

@heyitsjulian 

I was suggestions TESTING with NO Security. See if you had none the speed got better. Once you are done testing, put the old security back.

Yeah I read too fast, sorry and thanks for the suggestion. 

I did try last night without security at all on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands and it still is only giving me 18-30Mbps down. Again my wired connection surpasses my ISP plan and gets 230Mbps down. 

wireless mode is set to try and be the fastest available, 802.11n only for 2.4, 802:11ac only for 5. It used to be set to accept all modes but the speed was still slow. All our devices are pretty decent iPhones and Macs. 

On my 2014 MacBook Pro which has 802.11ac wifi, it shows the tx rate as capped at 54Mbps...

@IrvSp 

Options
2020-10-08 18:23:11

@heyitsjulian 

I don't know Mac's that well, Windows person.

I had problems with one specific Windows PC that was wired when we upgraded our Internet Service from 100Mbps to 400Mbps. Wired PC got around 220Mbps. I had to 'forget' the network and then clear the cache, flush the DNS, and reset the TCP/IP stack after creating a new network connection. Now get 480Mbps.

However, wireless, a different story. LG Phone(s) and iPad(s) get around 400Mbps+/- a little, but 2 wireless PC's, 250Mbps+/- a little.

Those wireless PC's are using a USB 3.0 Adapter in a USB 3.0 report, but for some strange reason, do NOT connect as a USB 3.0 device but a USB 2.0 device. Have no clues why but can't exceed 280Mbps.

Normal things to check on Wireless,

- QoS, getting over 200Mbps, proabably don't need it.

- MU-MIMO, in some cases can degrade speeed (5Ghz only).

- Channel Width, 80mhz best.

- Get a Network Anayzer (Acrylic has one for the Mac) and make sure no other SSID's are near your power level on the same channel.

If you are using Wireless, see where it is connected to internally on the PC. Some are part of the motherboard, others connect to a USB port, and it should be USB 3.0.

Options
2020-11-26 06:58:37
I am having the same EXACT issue as @heyitsjulian with the same exact speeds. None of any of these suggestions worked for me either. Still trying to figure out whats happening
Options
2021-02-01 21:22:23

Im the opposite i have 400/20 plan I'm able to hit 460down 25 up on wifi but on wire I'm only

hitting 50/75 up 20 down I'm about to throw the towel 

Options
Related Articles