Want one big happy network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-11 18:32:38
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1.9.1

So there was a sale on Amazon of the Archer 10. I had several little TP-link repeaters all over to keep my home security system happy. I put the new repeater on the second floor and suddenly all of my devices were happy. In fact, happiest with all those little repeaters unplugged. 

Meanwhile, my internet service had upgraded to over 100Mb (yay!), but my old network devices were all 100Mb, so I needed to upgrade my equipment to take advantage. Since this first router worked so well, I decided to buy a second Archer 10 to replace my main (basement) router that feeds my wired network in the house - including the outlet on second floor that the first Archer 10 was plugged into. Having 2 identical routers simplifies my life. Still all good. 

So my issue is simple. As I move through the house I may be picking up one or the other or the routers. If I'm on the second floor router, I can get to the internet, but I can't get to anything else on my home network (printers or server). 

I'm guessing the firewall on the second floor router is stopping me. If so, I suppose I can just turn off the firewall on that device and I will be able to see the rest of the network? 

Is there another way to allow passthough that is less drastic? Will I still have firewall protection through the downstairs router - not to mention my modem which allegedly also has a firewall?

Thanks for any advice.

Mary

Options
3 Reply
Re:Want one big happy network
2019-10-11 20:31:11

@Mary07 

I would set up the second Archer A10 as a access point so everything will be on the same network. Here is how you would set that up: https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/archer-a10_v1/chapter-5-set-up-the-router-as-an-access-point

You can keep what ever wirless name and password you still were using as well.

Options
2019-10-21 21:15:48

@Tony Thank you! The reconfiguration was fast and easy. I was not aware of the access point mode.

Options
2019-10-21 23:27:53

@Mary07 

You are very welcome.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 283

Replies: 3