tp-lnk homecare

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

tp-lnk homecare

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
tp-lnk homecare
tp-lnk homecare
2019-10-13 02:05:37
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 Build 20180611

Homecare does not permit a 'whitelist'.

This is a crucial feature! 

The old parental controls included custom whitelisting.

I hope we can look forward to an update with a more robust 'homecare', to include some of the most valuable features of the old parental control system.

Options
6 Reply
Re:tp-lnk homecare
2019-10-14 18:34:08

@mamoof01 

Thank you for your feedback.

Others users have brought up being able to designate exceptions within a category, but I don't believe we ever forwarded suggestions about having a simple white list.

Options
2019-10-14 19:04:43

@Tony 

If you are open to HomeCare suggestions, might I add some.

First would be to somehow alert the user and or Router 'owner/manager' that HomeCare did something?

Right now it DOESN'T do anything (at least on an A20). Well, it does log and action to the HISTORY but that is it. No e-mail to the registered ID like LOGGING sends out logs to, no entry into the LOG that it did anything.

Here is what my HISTORY looks like:

Useless unless I look. On top of that, the 'iPad' is incomplete. We have more that one iPad as clients. All named in this manner, "iPad-Ownername". In this case the first should be "ipad-Irv", seem the '-' threw it for a loop, Common problem it seems on other GUI pages from some reports of other routers.

I'll buy the iPad entry could be a problem. However I don't recall one? I don't know where I was going or using. Wish some basic information were either put into the Log or at a minimum be in the record above? Things like IP address, if quarantined, a link to it, etc.

In the 2nd entry, I am quite sure it was LEGITIMATE. Its and e-mail, and it is part of Shell's Rewards Program. I get notices when I reach certain plateau's, sales receipts, and possibly other information. Not being able to 'see' it, I have no idea what it could have been, hence a link to see it would have been nice.

So, I second the need for a Whitelist due to the above 2nd instance.

Also, probably would be nice to be able to CLEAR the HISTORY... No need to see it after I have usually, and especially if something were entered into the Log.

If putting entries into the log is not possible, how about something on the main GUI page indicating a HomeCare action, just like here in the forum if one has a message on the upper right?

Options
2019-10-15 11:03:37

@Tony 

Thank you for your consideration.  Please do forward these suggestions.  The lack of a “whitelist” is a significant problem with homecare. 

Thank you. 

Here is an excerpt from an email exchange with tp-link tech support:

‘Sorry that the new parental control function based on Home Care doesn't support the white list function, for your feedback, I will forward to our seniors, they will evaluate it.

Thanks for your support and feedbak.
Have a nice day.
———————-

> Thank you for your reply. 

> I am not having trouble blocking a site; rather, I would like to “allow” some sites, while blocking others. 
> In the example attached, “media” is blocked. Unfortunately, this blocks ALL media. 
> I would like to block all media EXCEPT one site, specifically, Spotify”. 
> In other words, I’d like to block YouTube, etc., but NOT Spotify. 
> This is where a “whitelist” comes handy. **The new parental controls do not offer a “whitelist

Options
2019-10-15 16:57:30 - last edited 2019-10-15 16:58:41

@IrvSp 

I forwarded your suggestions, thanks!

The "-" I have only seen that be a issue with address reservations and DHCP, mainly having the character in the description. Haven't seen anything dealing with the HomeCare alerts, but I'll look into that.

Options
2019-10-24 20:34:55

@Tony 

I really also have the need to whitelist certain websites.

I want to block adult content, but not www.everystudent.com which for some weird reason is considered adult.

I could agree to it being considered sexual education.

I don't really care what list you keep it in if I can whitelist it on my network.

Thanks

jjvh

Options
2020-01-21 01:13:01

for me, the time controls in homecare is proving to be useless. 

I setup a time limit for my kids, but since their ipads are signed into icloud, they use up all their time even if they aren't using their devices!  just the background use of those apps consumed all their internet time.  Here is a screenshot for an example:  She never even unlocked her ipad until later in the day and by that time, these services had used up all her internet time!

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1222

Replies: 6

Related Articles