A20 User's Guide errors????

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-14 16:44:17
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20181122 rel.29339(5553)

I just was trying to find some information about Remote Access with Tether... I assumed it went out to the Cloud, found the A20 I had, and then allowed me to connect (it doesn't?)?

So I started reading the manual on my PC that I d/l'ed from the support page.

Found some differences between the manual and the GUI?

For instance, this is from the Manual:

Nice to know I could change the Router P/W easily, and I'd sure what to set-up Password Recovery!

However this is what the GUI looks like? Those 2 are missing?

I have a feeling there are other problems of mismatches as well?

The A20's Quick Install Guide seems possibly to conflict with the User Guide as well?

It sort of 'implies' that would only be seen IF one used the Default Password login?

I did find the Tether info in the User's Guide:

Well, that doesn't work, I can NOT connect, it reports it can't be found.

I do have the Cloud setup (I think properly) and do log into the router and Teather with the Clould UID and PW?

I am not sure and I might be asking 3 questions? Is the manual wrong for 2 features that are not in the GUI/Firmware, and is Remote access documented wrong and Remote Access must be turned on?

Are there f/w bugs here too, even Tether app problems?

Options
9 Reply
Re:A20 User's Guide errors????
2019-10-14 21:31:19

@IrvSp 

The login will only show if the router is not bound to TP-Link ID. In the screenshots you provided initially in the notes part it will elude to that. So if you were to unbind your Archer A20 you would see below:

With respect to remote access you do not need to enable Remote Management, that would be if you want to access the router using the IP address. With the TP-Link Cloud, once you bind the router it should now appear as cloud in Tether. How is the router showing up in your Tether app?

Options
2019-10-14 21:43:05 - last edited 2019-10-14 21:46:40

@Tony 

Thanks, you might have solved ALL the problems?

As for the User's Guide, I now see how to do those 2. Since I did change the password to the Cloud P/W, I suspect I did see that, and I probably setup the recover P/W as well. I guess just a shortcoming in the User's Guide to let you know how to do that more clearly, especially if one wants to change the p/w after they linked the account. I didn't make the connection to changing the router password to changing the Cloud password. I thought they were 2 different passwords.

In Tether, it seems it was showing as a Local Device. Now shows as a Cloud Device. Possible I never logged it? Possible I got Logged out? I did have to re-boot the phone recently. No 'keep me logged in'? Yes, even on my Home Wifi I see it as a Cloud Device. Will test on a HOTSPOT tomorrow.

Thanks for the clarification.

Options
2019-10-15 13:52:13

@Tony 

I actually answered this in https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/173192?replyId=363948

Seems Tether holds on to some old IP Address. It happened when I used Tether on my home wifi and next on a hotspot out of my home. It got confused.

Options
2019-10-15 17:25:42

@IrvSp 

I used the screenshots you provided in the referenced thread to see if I can confirm what you think happened or another explanation.

Options
2019-10-15 20:16:10

@Tony ,

Thanks,

Went to a Dr's office and was on another Public Hotspot and I had no problems?

By the way, both of these 2 hotspots are from my ISP as well. In both cases I did leave the house and the phone switched automatically to Cell and then the Hotspots when in range.

Very strange, it is really hard to pin down?

Options
2019-10-15 20:26:08

@Tony ,

In trying to verify some of the problems on Tether, I discovered another oddity.

I'm sitting at my PC and decide to check if my phone has switched over to Wifi, It has, so I tried Tether and it worked? OK, I just put the phone down.

In reading the other thread about the "-" I decided to use Firefox to look at the connected clients to see how many were like that. When I entered the UID and PW I was prompted that another device was controlling the router. Great, nice to know, and I confirmed I wanted to take control. So I entered...

So now I pick up the phone. Yup it isn't connected, the top screen with the Cloud device shown. Hmm, let me try accessing. Got in, no problem, no warning I was knocking someone else off, and yes, the PC was out of control...

I'd think that 'warning' should have been on Tether as well probably?

I hope you aren't sick of hearing from me....

Options
2019-10-15 21:16:18

@IrvSp 

I laughed reading the last line. No, definately not.

What you brought up about the Tether, I can see what you are referring to. The app makes no mention like the web browser does.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. 

Options
2019-10-16 15:38:03

@IrvSp 

The feedback I received was the Tether was doing as designed so you will only get a message of a login conflict when on a browser, not the app.

Options
2019-10-16 16:16:26

@Tony 

Thanks for checking. Surprising, but it is what it is...

Thanks again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1014

Replies: 9