Archer A7 Connection Times Out for Mobile Phones

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-20 23:17:35
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20180424 rel.68521(5553)

Hey all—

I've been having a really strange issue with my router since I got it. For most devices, there are no issues. This includes laptops, a Google Home Mini, and a TV. But for mobile phones (iPhone and Android), after using an app on wifi for a few minutes, the connection will drop. This can be fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting to the wifi, but it's definitely not ideal. It's also not a consistent time period from what I can tell, but I haven't extensively tested it. This occurs mostly on social media (worst on Reddit, also occurs on others, and occasionally with Netflix). If one app times out, it works fine on another one for some amount of time. We also have a range extender, and the issue occurs when connected to that as well.

I've power cycled and rebooted my router multiple times, and the current firmware flashed is an old version. I see the issue both on this version and the newest, and no settings are changed from defaults besides SSID and password. I've also changed bands multiple times, same issue. It occurs on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

This is super confusing, so I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer A7 Connection Times Out for Mobile Phones
2019-10-21 17:45:12

@wtc 

Enable airplane mode, then re-enable Wi-Fi again, connect to the router, and stream again. Does the issue still happen?

Options
2019-10-23 03:31:05

@Tony 

It does still happen. I tried it several times, and it seems like there's a longer time period before the timeout, but it still occurs.

Options
2019-10-23 17:38:57

@wtc 

There are two settings you can change to see if it might help.

One would be WMM and the other would be NAT Boost. Those can be found under Advanced > System Tools > System Parameters.

Options
2019-10-27 05:22:38

@Tony 

Thanks for the suggestion, but no combination of those fixed it. NAT Boost and WMM were both enabled to start with, and I tried it with WMM disabled and NAT Boost enabled, then both disabled, then WMM enabled and NAT Boost disabled. Same deal each time.

Options
2019-10-28 22:52:31

@wtc 

Please send a email to: ussuppotteam@tp-link.com

We will continue to look into it there.

Options
2020-09-10 01:05:51

@wtc  I am having the same issue. Did you write an email and get a solution? I hope so. Thanks.

wtc wrote

Hey all—

I've been having a really strange issue with my router since I got it. For most devices, there are no issues. This includes laptops, a Google Home Mini, and a TV. But for mobile phones (iPhone and Android), after using an app on wifi for a few minutes, the connection will drop. This can be fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting to the wifi, but it's definitely not ideal. It's also not a consistent time period from what I can tell, but I haven't extensively tested it. This occurs mostly on social media (worst on Reddit, also occurs on others, and occasionally with Netflix). If one app times out, it works fine on another one for some amount of time. We also have a range extender, and the issue occurs when connected to that as well.

I've power cycled and rebooted my router multiple times, and the current firmware flashed is an old version. I see the issue both on this version and the newest, and no settings are changed from defaults besides SSID and password. I've also changed bands multiple times, same issue. It occurs on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

This is super confusing, so I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Options
2020-09-10 18:35:51
Not really, sorry. We emailed for a while, I sent some network traces, they had an engineer look at it, and then I got a VPN which fixed the issue for me so I stopped emailing.
Options