Can't find the place to add or remove sharing accounts for usb hard drive sharing.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can't find the place to add or remove sharing accounts for usb hard drive sharing.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-21 22:22:19
Model: Archer A2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.2 Build 20180123 Rel. 73741

I'm trying to find the place where I can add or remove a sharing account on my archer a2300.  As of now, under "USB Settings" it shows "Account."  From here it doesn't let me add or remove the two that are already there.  It shows the main account and a guest account.  I can only change the name or password.  I want to add an extra account to share only two folders on my external hard drive.  On a video on youtube, with a year of 2018, it shows under "usb settings" the place to add or remove sharing accounts.  I have already look through the other settings and I can't seem to find it.  Is that option no longer available?  I would appreciate any help, thanks. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Can't find the place to add or remove sharing accounts for usb hard drive sharing.
2019-10-21 22:59:03

@Dimmu0764 

Here is a FAQ that talk about the new UI: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2385/

There are two accounts, one has read/write (admin), the other is read only (visit).

In the "Sharing Contents" section is where you determine what is shared and what is not.

Options
Re:Can't find the place to add or remove sharing accounts for usb hard drive sharing.
2019-10-23 03:37:19

@Tony Thanks for getting back to me.  Apart from those two defaul accounts, you can't add like a third one?  Or possibly giving the guest account access to only a certain folder while the main account keeps access to all folders in the hard drive? What I was trying to do is create a sharing account where my kids can access from their computer but only have access to a folder where I have movies and tv shows.  I don't want them to have access to other folders I got.  Seems that whatever folders I chose under sharing content applies to boths accounts.  

Options
2019-10-23 11:16:28

@Dimmu0764 

I already brought this up, and it was passed onto the developer's.

Actually you want more than 1 share. I'll assume your router is like the A20 and all I can do is have one single share, and it is either protected or not. Not only that, but if the 2nd USB drive is added, it too, is under that single share. Yes, you can select folders on those drives to be shared, but it is all under a single share.

Other router vendors do have as many shares as you want. Just select or create a parh on the drive and mark it protected or not.

In my case I want to protect the entire drive but one folder which holds DVD's that the Smart TV's can access. So I protect the entire drive share and create a new share to the video sub-folder and do not protect it. Work great.

Right now, with the currect implementation I have to just share the Video folder and the rest of the drive can't be accessed as there is no share to it. When I want to move to or get files from the USB drive I have to share the whole drive by changing it when I want to do that and resetting it back when done. Royal Pain.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1145

Replies: 3