dedicated DHCP server & Guest wireless - no dhcp unless I enable Access My Local Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

dedicated DHCP server & Guest wireless - no dhcp unless I enable Access My Local Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-23 11:18:00
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.17.1

Archer C9 hwV1 fw 3.17.1

Hello,

I use this for a small business, with a Microsoft AD server providing DHCP to workstations and patrons. It provides internal wifi dhcp just fine, wired patron/staff just fine, however the guest options will not receive a DHCP address unless "Allow Guests To Access My Local Network" is enabled (which completely defeats the purpose of a guest network). Is there a way around this without disabling my dedicated DHCP server & enabling the one on the Archer C9?

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:dedicated DHCP server & Guest wireless - no dhcp unless I enable Access My Local Network
2019-10-23 18:28:00 - last edited 2019-10-23 18:28:34

@abeNdorg 

I'm thinking the C9s DHCP would need to be utilized if you want to also utilize the guest network. There is not a way to allow specific traffic from the internal LAN.

An alternative setup could be a router and switch with VLANs configured and APs with multi-SSIDs having associated VLAN IDs. That would use different hardware altogether. Here is our SMB forum if you want to explore that: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business

Options
Re:dedicated DHCP server & Guest wireless - no dhcp unless I enable Access My Local Network
2019-10-27 11:43:07

@Tony 

I set the tp-link router as the DHCP server, and deauthorized the Windows server. Guest computers now receive a IP address, however Android complains is able to get to the internet which is true oh, am I testing with Apple and Windows those are also able to receive a DHCP address but unable to get to the internet. If I turn on the option to see the local network, which defeats the whole purpose of guest Network isolated from the real Network, they are then able to get internet access. Other than trying to do a complete factory reset on this router, what else can I try to finally get a guest Network to work? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1537

Replies: 2