Configure RE200 as a wireless adapter for wired device?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-24 03:26:37
Model: RE200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

On the product page for the RE200, it says: "Ethernet port allows the Extender to function as a wireless adapter to connect wired devices"

So, I bought this thinking that's what it will do and when I connect the ethernet cable to my wired device, the RE200 loses the internet connection.  That tells me it's configured as a wired repeater which isn't what I want.

I downloaded the manual and it says in section 6.1 - Use Your Extender as a Wireless Adapter  "After configuration, you can connect an Ethernet-enabled device to the extender via an Ethernet cable."   It says to configure it, but not how.  I went thru the firmware, upgraded it and still don't see an option for this.  Anyone have this working?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Configure RE200 as a wireless adapter for wired device?
2019-10-24 17:37:22

@xyyx0110 

Do a factory reset on the extender by holding onto the reset pinhole for 10 seconds, do this after the extender has booted up.

After that has been done, download the Tether app on your cell phone, and set up the extender: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1373/

When setting up the extender make sure the wireless network name is differe form the router's current Wi-Fi name.

When the extender is setup connect to the extenders wireless network name. If you have internet, then connect a Ethernet cable to the RE200 and you should have internet.

Do not set it up as a Access Point, that will make it where you connect a Ethernet cable that has internet to the RE200 where the RE200 only provides a wireless connection.

Options
2020-04-10 20:00:40
what do you mean by this sentence? "Do not set it up as a Access Point, that will make it where you connect a Ethernet cable that has internet to the RE200 where the RE200 only provides a wireless connection."
Options
2020-04-10 20:17:52

@xyyx0110 

This is what I was referring to: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1401/

In other words I was saying just to set it up as you normally would. There is no special configuration, you will set up the extender to connect to your wireless router like the quick installation guide says. After configuration, verify the extender is actually getting internet by connecting to its wireless network. If that works, then connecting the Ethernet cable will work as well.

The extender has two networks it referred so, the host network and the extended network. The host network refers to your routers Wi-Fi, the extended Wi-Fi referrs to the wireless network it broadcasts. Now after the extender is configured you can disable the extended Wi-Fi networks on the extender so no device will see the extenders Wi-Fi, but you will still have network connectivity on the Ethernet port (bottom of page 27 of the manual).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7309

Replies: 3