Question on M5 configure options

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-30 02:18:23 - last edited 2019-11-05 19:55:35
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.3.1

Greetings, 

I have just installed my three pack Deco 5s and all are working but I need to know which option I should use for the best operation

First, I am in a 1700 sq ft house on one floor and a finished basement. I plan on the main unit in my office (a bedroom upstairs), the second unit downstairs in the basement and the third in my detached garage.

My equipment before the M5 installation...... I have Spectrum cable internet 100MB connected to an Aris Surfboard modem.

The modem is connected to a Dlink DIR 868L with 4 ports.Three of the ports go to computers and the fourth is connected to a TP link 8 port switch 

When I installed the M5s, I connected the first one (main Deco) to a port on the switch and everything installed just fine. All 3 are set to router, none are AP at this time. I get good signal but the DL speed is terrible according to the ap but my Fire-Stick seems to stream ok but I just installed it and just did a quick check. 

My router wireless is still on for now because I want to switch all the connections over to the Deco before removing the old wireless so I have both wireless networks running at the same time.

What would be the best configuration for my case? Should I plug the Deco into the modem then the router into the Deco? If I do it this way, would I leave the main unit as a router and the other two as an AP?

I am open to suggestions, I am familliar with routers but this is the first mesh I have delt with. I use several security cameras which some use WIFI and some use a Cat 5 connection. Obviously I have a boat load of ports forwarded on the Dlink and if I have to redo them on the Deco, it will be a daunting task. That is why I put the Deco behind my router for now

The main intent was to get a stronger WIFI signal in the detached garage and basement. I dont mind having both wireless networks if I need to

If you have stayed with me this far, I thank you and look forward to any assistance you may offer

Dan 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Question on M5 configure options-Solution
2019-11-04 02:16:37 - last edited 2019-11-05 19:55:35

@Tony 

Thanks for the information, sorry for the late reply...I have been too busy to get on line lately.

I just put the main unit over by the modem and plugged the modem into one of the M5 ports and the cable that was plugged in to the modem into the second M5 port.

The cable that was originally plugged into the modem goes to my Dlink router first which has 4 ports. Three of these router ports are used for hard wired computers. The 4th port is connected to an 8 port TP-Link switch. I have both wireless signals and they have different ssid's

I made no other changes other than putting the main M5 in between the modem and router. I just checked the DL speed and it is now 115.4 Mbps down and 11.9 up...but then I am in the same room as the M5

I will go out to the detached garage and see what I get there tomorrow. That is where I originally checked the DL speed and got such low numbers

All 3 Deco units are still in router mode, I am able to connect to each network with no interference and am able to also log in to 192.168.68.1 with no issues

Please let me know if this configuration is good to go or if I need to change it. My only concern is a strong enough wifi signal reaching my detached garage from the M5 network

Thank you so much for the info you provided, I greatly appreciate it

Dan

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Question on M5 configure options
2019-10-30 17:26:15

@Homeless 

If you did the speed check while at a satallite unit then moving the unit closer to the main Deco should help speed. If you were near the main Deco, switch to AP mode as the speed should help that way.

With the Deco units they all run the same mode so they will all be in router mode or AP mode.

The default IP scheme of the Deco follows 192.168.68.1 but you can change it to what your cameras are set to if they are staticly set. 

The Deco M5 has the ability to log into with a web browser (be on the Deco Wi-Fi), your login would be your TP-Link Cloud account password. You do not have full features, but it provides basic info that should be helpful info about your Deco network. https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/kb/detail/326

With the Deco M5 unit since you have two Ethernet ports, one would go to the modem, the other would go to to the switch, from there you can connect other devices if you want. If the switch has all the ports needed you can store the D-Link.

There have been some cloud cameras that are known to have issues with mesh networks such as Nest devices. If you notice that, you can use the D-Link to provide a wireless network so there are no issues.

So the two setups you can go for:

1. Leave your network as is, connect one Deco to the switch, set up AP mode. AP mode will disable most routing features like HomeCare.

2. Have the Deco to the modem, set up the units in router mode, have the D-Link be a backup router or provide Wi-Fi (wired to switch) if security devices have issues to mesh networks.

Options
Re:Question on M5 configure options-Solution
2019-11-04 02:16:37 - last edited 2019-11-05 19:55:35

@Tony 

Thanks for the information, sorry for the late reply...I have been too busy to get on line lately.

I just put the main unit over by the modem and plugged the modem into one of the M5 ports and the cable that was plugged in to the modem into the second M5 port.

The cable that was originally plugged into the modem goes to my Dlink router first which has 4 ports. Three of these router ports are used for hard wired computers. The 4th port is connected to an 8 port TP-Link switch. I have both wireless signals and they have different ssid's

I made no other changes other than putting the main M5 in between the modem and router. I just checked the DL speed and it is now 115.4 Mbps down and 11.9 up...but then I am in the same room as the M5

I will go out to the detached garage and see what I get there tomorrow. That is where I originally checked the DL speed and got such low numbers

All 3 Deco units are still in router mode, I am able to connect to each network with no interference and am able to also log in to 192.168.68.1 with no issues

Please let me know if this configuration is good to go or if I need to change it. My only concern is a strong enough wifi signal reaching my detached garage from the M5 network

Thank you so much for the info you provided, I greatly appreciate it

Dan

Recommended Solution
Options
2019-11-05 18:17:18

@Homeless 

Yes, that configuration looks good.

Keep the Deco in router mode, putting it to AP mode will mess things up.

If you do not notice better speeds in the shed, move the Deco units around and test (not the main one). 

You can also wire one of the units to help with speed. For example Modem > Deco > Router <--wire--> Deco <--Wi-Fi--> Deco

Options
2019-12-24 02:24:38

@Tony   I have been using my M5 as configured in my previous post for about 6 weeks now with no issues.  I am having an issue with connecting a EACHEN WiFi relay which will only connect using 2.4 like most devices do. This device does connect and works perfectly using my old D-link router.

I set the M5 to broadcast 2.4 only just to be sure it was not trying to use 5.0 but it still will not connect. Out in my garage, I have very good signal from the M5, I run my Fire TV and a few wireless cameras that are connected to the M5 so I know it is working correctly.

I am thinking it is not a malfunction but rather something that the Mesh does or doesnt provide that the Eachen relay needs to connect. I wonder if it could be ports or something. The M5 is the only wireless that reaches the garage so I cannot use my old router even though the relay will connect to it.

Wondering if anyone has any experience or idea what I can do  to get it to connect. The seller did say it will not connect to mesh networks but gave no other information,however, I did see where some users were able to connect to Google mesh and a couple others......Just looking for a place to start looking on a solution

Thank you again

Dan

Options
2020-01-16 17:51:47

@Homeless 

What you can try to do, not sure if it will work, but if the Netgear router supports WDS bridging you can connect to the Deco wireless network. 

It would make the Netgear act as a range extender pretty much. 

You would enable the guest network for the Deco, rename the network to something different, disable the 5Ghz on the guest so only 2.4Ghz is enabled, and set up the Netgear to is.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1910

Replies: 5

Related Articles