Purchase opinion

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Purchase opinion

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Purchase opinion
Purchase opinion
2019-11-03 13:45:53

I'm reading all the specs but still can't come to a decision. What'd be your choice?

Re: M9, P7 & M5

I'm rural. My ISP can provide 25/4 & 50/5 Mbps.

The house is 3000sf up, 2800 down & 1600 connected shop. I have ring security throughout. ~60' outside of the shop is a propane tank sensor that I want to connect to the network. 1 4K tv, 1 computer, two cellphones, two hd TV's.

I plan to add Alexa and some Smart switches. There's only two of us so the Mbps should work for now.

I have Ethernet CAT5e everywhere and the ability to add more if needed.

Because of the size of the house/shop I have two main electrical panels (P7's might not work across them - not sure). Of the three mesh which would you go with given my conditions? (PS, given firmware release schedules I'd probably not mix and match units unless there is a real good reason.)  Thanks...

Options
7 Reply
Re:Purchase opinion
2019-11-04 17:09:15

@Carvendive , The current latest Mesh unit is the M9.

I have 3 of these M9s in a 3.5k sq foot 2 level home and love it. They just work, flawlessly. 

I think your decision should be guided by how much you want to future-proof your network. Within the next 1-2 months, TP-Link is coming out with the next generation Mesh routers, the Deco AX10 ... these are compliant with 802.11ax standard, or wifi 6. Note: wifi 6 requires both the network appliance and the client device (cell phone, lap top, etc.) both be compliant with .ax. These new Mesh units are expected to be backwards compatible with 802.11 AC.

With your current ISP speeds, you will likely not notice much difference between the M9 and the X10s. However, the x10s should have a larger coverage area, so you may only need 2 of these where, like me, you may need 3 M9s for full 100% coverage in your home. It depends on the home configuration and where you place the devices in the home. 

Personally, I think spending a little up front to future proof my network is a good idea. You may only have 50MBPS today, but in a year or two or three, maybe you'll have an in-home 5G option, or fiber... or maybe you'll have 50 network devices in 3 years... all good reasons to have the X10 now...

If you're just trying to meet your current need, you could probably get by with the more innexpensive models.

:) John

Options
2019-11-04 18:32:03

@Carvendive this table comparison is also very helpful:

What are the differences between different models of Deco?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2423/

Options
2019-11-04 18:58:54

@JohnBruso 

Thanks John.

After posting my original question I was able to find a resource on tp-link that helped answer the "which one to buy" question. For me the answer came from my ioT requirement. M9 it is (or was) until you mentioned the upcoming release.

My last router (a Cradle point MBR-1000) is over 10 yrs old, so yes, future proofing is on my radar. And you're correct. Who knows what'll happen once that new satellite system is up and running.

Options
2019-11-04 19:09:46 - last edited 2019-11-04 19:13:12

For anyone else watching this thread, this TP-Link post looks very helpful as well: Similarity and Differences of Deco Models https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/stories/detail/768

more info about .ax/wifi 6 (only available in the Deco AX10 and higher - Coming Soon): https://www.tp-link.com/us/wifi6/

Options
2019-11-13 00:14:30

@JohnBruso 

Well... I couldn't hold out for the new release after all. I got a 3 pack of M9's. Costco is to blame! $199 for the three pack and free two day shipping.

Options
2019-11-13 00:33:08
ya, the Deco Ax10s still have no release date on them. could be January even. https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/175736
Options
2019-11-13 17:00:17
Me too. A great deal at Costco!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 914

Replies: 7

Related Articles