Deco M9 Plus causing slow-down after adding second unit

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-04 16:58:09
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel 54023

Recently purchased Deco M9 Plus (3 units) from Costco. This is replacing my 3 year old Archer C7 unit. Once I connected by first Deco unit, I did a speed test using the Deco app and saw the speeds north of 200 Mbps. Realized soon that not testing with other speed test apps was a mistake (more on that later). This unit was set-up in the basement and the speed test was done inches from it.

Set-up my second deco unit on the first floor of the house 3 feet from my TV unit. Once I was done with the set-up, I did a speed test again on the Deco app and saw 200 Mbps + speeds, however this time I corrected my earlier mistake and did speed tests on Ookla app and also Spectrurm's website, the speeds (on both) were 30-75 Mbps while Deco app happily kept showing speeds upwards of 200 Mbps. 

After some trials and errors, I unplugged the second Deco unit and to my surprise, the speeds were back to 200 Mbps+ in all the apps. I am currently using only one unit as the set-up but will wait for support from TP-Link before deciding if I want to stick with this model or return it to Costco and go with Google's offering. 

1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel 54023

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus causing slow-down after adding second unit
2019-11-04 17:51:50 - last edited 2019-11-04 17:52:18

@SETS 

The speed test is just what the speed is hitting your primary Deco (where the internet comes into your home). The internal deco speed test is not a test of speed from your deco to your device. 

Are all of your decos connected via ethernet or just wifi?

In the settings do you have these set to enabled?

IPv6

SIP ALG

Fast Roaming

Beamforming

Options
2019-11-04 19:42:14

@JohnBruso 

Thanks for commenting and clarifying on the speed test benchmarks on Deco app speed test. The deco devices were connected over wi-fi when I experienced the issue. I have the following settings,

IPv6 (Disabled) 

SIP ALG (Enabled)

Fast Roaming (Disabled)

Beamforming (Enabled)

Options
2019-11-04 19:48:57
try enabling IPv6 (use the same method as IPv4) and Fast Roaming. If you have Ethernet in ur home, connect each deco to the Ethernet.
Options
2019-11-05 22:23:47

@SETS 

When you open the Deco app, tap on the globe icon, then on any Deco unit, you will see what devices are connected to it. Just so when you do a speed test, you are not connecting to the Deco physically away from you rather then the one near by. If that is the case, disable your Wi-Fi and re-enable it should fix it.

If you can connect two Decos with a Ethernet cable that helps with speed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2320

Replies: 4