default media player for usb drive

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-07 15:02:44
Model: AD7200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I've been using the router for about a year and decided to add a USB drive to stream videos.

I have a problem. The only option to play the videos is to open Windows Media Player. I want to use VLC, a popular and versatile media player.

I've tried to open files on the drive using VLC but cannot access the files.

Is there a way to plsy videos on the USB drive using VLC?

Options
4 Reply
Re:default media player for usb drive
2019-11-07 16:32:42

@jlj 

Your computer is probably defaulted to open media files using Windows Media Player. When you look at the available video files the icon the files show up as will indicate that rather then having the VLC cone icon.

Right click on one of the video files, select properties, where it says "Open with", hit the change button and choose the VLC program.

If you are trying to open the folder from the VLC program, in the address bar put: \\192.168.0.1

You will see the share folder that contains the media on your USB drive.

Options
2019-11-07 17:09:12 - last edited 2019-11-07 18:02:02

@Tony 

Hello,

Thanks for responding.

No, VLC is the default player in my Win10 o/s.

I open File Exlorer an select "Network."

The drive shows up in the list. If I double click, the browser opens an admin page for the AD7200.

If I right click the drive icon in File Explorer, I get several options:

1 Open Media Player

2 View device webpage

3 Create shortcut

4 Properties.

However, I did find a way to stream to VLC.

If I open Media Player, option #1, an iTunes-like app opens with a list of the videos on the drive available.

If I open the "Properties" for the selected video, a URL for the video is given as "Location."

I can paste the URL into VLC's "Stream" URL text box and play the video that way.

A mored direct approach would be better, that is, changing the AD7200's default player.

I'm going to check Media Player's file association list for a likely file-type.

If you have any other ideas, post them.

Thanks

UPDATE:

I checked default apps by protocol and found "DLNA-Singleplay."

The only opion was to search the Microsoft Store, which the software did, and found no suitable replacement.

I found a DLNA browser app, but that was was very slow. No options for choosing the player were offered.

Media PLayer also, will not allow users to choose the audio track in multi-track Matroska files. I'm stuck listening to Casablanca in French.

Streaming to VLC using the video URL is the current best and only method.

Options
2019-11-07 18:56:23

@jlj, I've got Windows 10 and VLC.

I can do it easily though.

I open VLC and select OPEN FILE under the MEDIA pulldown. You get a Windows Explorer type menu on the left. Open the NETWORK and then the router SHARE... select that and then you can drill down to the file you want. Select it, then open, and it plays fine for me.

However, in Windows 10 you have to have SMB 1's Client enabled in Programs and Features in the Control Panel (Select Turn Windows Features on or off on the left to do this). May require a reboot.

Options
2019-11-08 01:19:08

@IrvSp 

Thanks for your response.

Followed your instructions and was successful.

Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1748

Replies: 4

Related Articles