C5400X Access Control Issue - Internet Block Request

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-07 15:25:28
Model: Archer C5400X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Archer C5400X(US)_V1_180904

So I posted this before but it seems it was deleted?

First off, there have been no updates for this router since September of 2018?  You can argue that why fix it if isn't broke, but other manufactures seem to always keep apace with firmware updates and features.

Anyways, in summary.  One feature request I would like to see would be a way to block all internet traffic to the router or to specific devices while maintinaing the local network connections between devices.  My previous routers (Asus) have allowed this and it is a shame not to have it available on this router.  Only way to do this now is actually physically remove the ethernet cord between router and cable modem and this affects all devices.

Also, a issue I have noticed...  I tried using Access Control to perform this "internet block/allow" but not successfully.  I have over 36 devices connected and when I try to use the toggle box to select all devices at once to delete them from a blacklist or whitelist, the router will actually hang and has to be rebooted manually.  As you can no longer interact with the router in the webpage portal.

I hope that a fix is being made available to this router for this issue and that any new firmware will possibly include some new features.

Options
5 Reply
Re:C5400X Access Control Issue - Internet Block Request
2019-11-07 22:51:34

@TotoyZ4 

I believe your post was moved to feature requests, you had also posted in our gloabl forums as well.

Within your router you have HomeCare, more specifically the Parental Controls that have the ability to block internet access when ever you want.  You can use your web browser or your smart phone using the Tether app.

What you would do is to create a profile, you can make it a adult one, put no category filters, add which ever device to that profile, then when you want, you can pause internet access for what ever devices you want access held on.

While the internet connection is haulted for the devices in the profile, you will still have LAN communcation.

Regarding the freezing, we will look into that to see what we can find.

Options
2019-11-07 23:19:09

@Tony 

Thank you for the quick response and directing me to where my previous post had gone.

I tried the Homecare option you recommended but it has inherent limits which can not meet the needs of covering all devices.  There is a limit of adding 16 devices per Homecare profiles.  I have around 36, and then there are transient devices that connect from time to time that the Homecare profile can not control (such as new devices that connect to the network).  Homecare profile only works for devices that the router remembers connected to it before and filters out there traffic based on MAC address.  Any new devices that come online have to manually be added back in which doesn't work very well for events or times when guests hop onto the network.  

I appreciate the start using Homecare but maybe extending it out to have a similar feature to Whitelist / Blacklist (such as adding devices to a profile that will have access versus how it is now, where you add devices you want to restrict access to).  More than likely there will be situations where the network admin will have some devices they want always connected to the internet which a profile can be made for them and all other traffic is limited?

Also, wonder what happends if the same device is added to two different profiles under Homecare.

Options
2019-11-07 23:32:11

@TotoyZ4 

I haven't tested with the same devices on different profiles, but I see what you mean as not needing to manually add devices which makes sense.

I will forward that as a feature request.

Options
2019-11-07 23:53:12

@Tony 

Thank you for your responsiveness Tony, hope your firmware team is receptive to the suggestions.  

Have a quick question a little off topic...

Is it more ideal to set the QOS up to prioritize Gaming and leave it (the router) to decide or is it better to go into device priority and select the actual Gaming device, such as an Xbox One X?

My situation has a Xbox One X connected to a wireless bridge device via a ethernet cord and the wireless bridge brings that device and other LAN connected devices on it to the main router C5400X.

Should I device prioritize just the wireless bridge router, or just the Xbox One X connected to the wireless bridge router by ethernet cable to it, or both the wireless bridge router and Xbox One X, or just select Gaming under QOS?  

Options
2019-11-11 19:01:26

@TotoyZ4 

I would priortize just the device itself to keep it simple. If you have a gaming rig, along with gaming consoles, and other devices, and on top of that you have constant video streaming such as Netflix or Hulu, then just enabling gaming traffic would work better.

Going back to the crashing of the Access Control, please provide us with your configuration file by doing a backup at (Advanced > System Tools > Backup and Restore), and sending a copy to: ussupportteam@tp-link.com

Our testing team wanted to examine it to see what may be going on.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1200

Replies: 5

Related Articles