C5400 Firewall Port Control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-08 03:19:12
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have looked through the manual and online, and it does not look like that there is port allowing and blocking on this router. Am I missing something? I am just a bit surprised that the router has so many settings but not port control. Is there a better router that does have port control?

Options
4 Reply
Re:C5400 Firewall Port Control
2019-11-08 15:39:07

@ObjectiviTea ,

Don't know about blocking, but I located this for allowing ports to be forwarded:

https://portforward.com/tp-link/archer-c5400/

Hope this helps.

Options
2019-11-08 17:46:33

@ObjectiviTea 

On most TP-Link router port forwarding is called Virtual Servers On the C5400 this feature is located on Advanced - NAT Forwarding - Virtual Servers

Options
2019-11-08 22:01:25

@Carl Hello Carl. Thanks for the reply. I do not mean port forwarding. What I mean is firewall port "allow" and "block". Because, without blocking port 53, parental control settings mean nothing, as every kid or guest knows about VPNs. All they have to do is download a free app like Aloha, and they can bypass all DNS control. If there is a router that does support that, then I would like to buy that, but otherwise I am going to have to look at other routers or managed switch solutions. I appreciate your feedback.

Options
2019-11-08 22:59:46

@ObjectiviTea 

Okay I understand now thank you for the clarification. No we do not have a SoHo/Home classed router with that ability.  Our Firewall software in these routers is ALG and SPI based so there is no way to block a specific port.  You would need a external fireall or a smart or managed switch connected to the TP-Link router and create an ACL to manage that task.  

One other option could be a "Net-Nanny" software applied to the child's device.  This could act as a software firewall/parental control and disable the possiblity of a VPN software.  Cost wise it might be a valid option.  

Sorry we couldn't be more help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1046

Replies: 4

Related Articles