Old House wiring

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Old House wiring

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Old House wiring
Old House wiring
2019-11-29 16:20:05
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a switch box with two standard light switches. They are unfortunately, on two different circuits. It also appears they are both end of line switches as there are only cables coming into the switches. Nothing out. Black,white and ground. I have seen about using the neutral from another switch, so can the one on the other switch/circuit , be used.Would it be the two blacks from my HS200 are connected to th eblack and white for the light I'm controlling and connect the Nuetral to the other switches neutral.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Old House wiring
2019-11-29 18:40:37

@GeorgeH 

Hi George,

A neutral is never connected to a switch.

In your case the white wire on the switch(s) is not a neutral.

Options
Re:Old House wiring
2019-11-29 18:59:01

@B.Will Thanks. I have kind of woken up since posting. It appears the lights have power direct to them and the switches are taken from there. Hence the whites are being used as returns. I guess I will have to rethink the project. A bit of rewiring is called for I think. 
thanks again

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 708

Replies: 2

Related Articles