Nothing is working, except blinking lights showing normal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-02 20:16:31
Model: TL-WPA4220 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi Guys, I ihad the kit working well. Then last week 4 extenders and 1 router adpator all off the sudden stopped working

When I connect the adaptor to the router, the blinking lights flash green and seem to work, but I see nothing on my router.

I have done resets on all the devices, including removing extenders from the outlets and only working with the adaptor.  Again all the green led blink like it is working but my router does not see it.  I did this also with TL-PA4020P and it same thing, all lights blink but nothing on the router.

I also did a ultity software to scan and nothing.. 

It would seem odd that all the extenders would break at the same time, (although it seems to functioning correclty with the LEDs)

The devices also use to show up on my router. 

now, nothing on the router, and no signal.

I also checked the router to make sure the firewall or something is not blocking the devices. 

Any ideas.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Nothing is working, except blinking lights showing normal
2019-12-02 22:38:49

@flyfisher 

have all of the adapters connected and then use the tpPLC application on either your computer or smart phone (smart phone requires a wireless plc adapter) and check the network for poor rates or interference.  

Options
Re:Nothing is working, except blinking lights showing normal
2019-12-03 02:22:49

@Carl Thanks for your suggestion.  but unfortunately I am on V1 and the app does not support it.

Allow me to rant a little.  I literally wasted the whole afternoon debugging this thing.  I remember when I bought these like 5 years ago, they were the best options for me as I am trying to pass signal through levels of a house.  I remember when I set these up back then, the process was just as tedious, the software was poor and the instructions confusing.

Well, it only got worst.  I am on a macos now, and the software does not work on macos ( i think since it went all 64bit), so I had to dig out an old windows laptop.  I tried running on vitrualbox win10, no luck. 

ON the win7 laptop, the powerline scan was able to pick up the extenders but not the adaptors, strange since the adaptors are powerline and the software suppose to scan for powerline. 

The TP-PLC utlity for some reason would not start up.  So I was left working with powerline scan to get IP address.  But for some reason the IP would not show up on the router but would bounce all over the place on the scan software.  

I finally gave up and did a facgtory reset and updated to the latest firmware that is beta on the extenders but not the adaptors since no web interface without the TP-PLC utlity.

after numerous attempts of various combination of between pairing and cloning.  Since no clear instruction on if you must pair powerline or wifi.  So finally figured to first use the pair button to link all the powerline adaptors and extenders to be on the same network.  Then individually wifi clone the WPS router to the extenders.  You can not wifi clone from one extender to the other (I believe). 

After about 6 hours, I was able to get it to work, but the signal is still unstable but at least better than nothing on the next floor down.  

This leaves me really thinking is the V2, V3, V4 any better.  The state of V1 is so poor, the instruction, the UI, the signal stability and difficulty of linking?  And is any of it supported on the Macos.  Does it still have two seperate software for Powerline scan and TP_PLC utility?  The firmware, software and hardware just seem to be developed by seperate teams that don't talk to each other.  I am sure part of the problem is me being on V1, but scared to upgrade to the newer versions of TP-PLC as my router as AI-Mesh and so many mesh router choices on the market now. 

So for the team at TP or others on this user forum.  Any suggestions for an upgrade or encouraging thoughts? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 897

Replies: 2